3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Burn CD-R (XP Home SP1)

Can the built-in Windows XP burn-in function burn CD-RW? I am considering to put a CD-RW in the CR-RW drive permanently as a back up drive.

Thanks

Re: Burn CD-R (XP Home SP1)

Hi, Dennis ~

Yes, it certainly can, but you will have burn-at-once capabilities only and not be able to rewrite.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis--
    Whether XP Home or Pro, the burning again to a CD-RW is a function of the particular drive you have. The software native to XP Home or Pro supports rewritable CD's as well. But it's going to burn somewhat slower with them. My personal belief is though that it is really well worth having Nero's features and that Nero has less problems than Roxio Easy CD Creator on the whole--although they do have a recent plug-in that's supposed to patch some of the Easy CD 6.0 problems.

See <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/expertzone/columns/bridgman/august13.asp">
    CD Burning Becomes Routine: Rewritable CD's Supported Too</A>
    KB 324129 How to Troubleshoot Issues that Occur When You Write Data to a CD-R or CD-RW in Windows XP Home or Pro
    Focus on: CD Burning in Windows XP
    Creating Your Own CDs

SMBP

billeger

Being either too poor or too cheap to upgrade to Roxio's Platinum Easy Creator -- and I don't burn that many CDs, either! -- I recently downloaded the upgrade to their Roxio Creator 5 that came with my Dell but which was NOT COMPATIBLE with XP. The new version -- free -- is very robust, is compatible and excellent in its design for file transfer. My knowledge about it's function with RW, however, is incomplete so hope this filing is not out of place.

Aloha,

<font face="Snap ITC">Hawai`i Bill</font face=snap>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis,
    I`m not sure if I`ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick or not, but I use XP to burn all my data to CD-RW. I don`t usually fill the CD at once and just keep adding to it over a period of time until it is full. Never had a problem with this. Any file with the same name as an existing one is supposed to be overwritten, but have never tried it out.Perhaps this facility depends on the CD writer you have. Would be worth checking this out as I find it very useful to just add as I go.
    Elaine

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Elain,

You are on the right end of the stick! You answered most of the question I asked. How to overwrite the same name as an existing one is the last part of the question I need answer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

These and the above links might help answer some of your questions and also give you some interesting tips--a couple keep up well with new burning tech.
    CD Burning
    Andy McFadden's CD Burning FAQ Updated Monthly
    CD Freaks
    Must Have Burning Tools Tech TV
    CD Writing How To

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis,
    I have never tried to do that. Try burning a small file of the exact same name as an existing one and see what happens. You might be prompted that the file already exists and do you want to overwrite it. Or it may be automatically overwritten. The 3rd option is that it might just be added to the CD if the overwrite option does not work. There is no harm in trying this out. I do know that you cannot erase selected files from the CD. I`m afraid that, for me at least, this is an "all or nothing" option . Looks like the XP burning works differently on different systems. If you try it out, let me know what happens. Hope this helps.
    Elaine

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Elaine,

I did tried you suggested before. It seems that Windows allows users either to erase all contents or to add new files to CD-RW. I could not find a way to treat the file overwriting as it works on hard drive.

As far as I know, Nero's INCD can do what I need. But, I prefer to use the "free" built-in function before going to the alternatives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis,
    Sorry to be so long in replying. My system is the same. I cannot erase any one particular file. I have to erase the whole CD. However I tried the overwriting function tonight and found out that it works. I chose a file already on the CD and sent it to the CD again. It has to be the exact same name. A message box came up immediately saying "This folder already contains a file named ??. Would you like to replace the existing file?" Now, I think this is what you are looking for. If you answer "Yes" the original file will be overwritten by the newer version you want to save. If you do not want to replace it, you can answer "No" and the file will not be sent for copying to the CD. In this way you can overwrite any file with a newer version as long as the name is the exact same. I hope this is the answer you are looking for. Remember do not try to erase the file,just send the newer verison to the CD
    Elaine

Thanks

Hi, Dennis ~

This thread here in the Lounge goes into extensive detail with CD-R/RW burning and related software.