New Lounger
    Thanks

Meta Refresh and Registry (IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP1)

Hi All,
    Having a particular problem that is really puzzling. Here's the scoop:
    I have created a package for my firm using IEAK to roll out IE6 SP1 (we are currently on IE 5.5). The package works well with most of the different machines we have in the office with the exception of the Compaq EVO desktops of which we have 446 in the firm. The problem is specifically with a Security Setting (Tools/Internet Options/Security - Internet Zone) called "Allow META REFRESH." I did some research and found KB182569 which describes the registry setting for the security zones in IE. The META REFRESH setting is located at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionInternet SettingsZones3
    and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionInternet SettingsZones3
    The setting is 1608 which is a REG_DWORD and set to 0x000000000 (0)
    For machines that have the META REFRESH setting, this registry entry is there and I can change it in the registry which changes it in IE6. However on the EVO machines, there is no 1608 entry so I created one thinking this would add the setting which would solve the problem. It didn't. Now, I'm certainly no registry expert so I'm puzzled by this. The reason I am trying this is that we need to push IE 6 out pretty quickly here and since the IEAK package works well with all the other machines, I thought we could do a registry edit via a logon script for the 446 EVO machines in our firm. As it stands now, the only way to fix the problem is to do it manually by going to the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs and select IE6 SP1. It gives you a dialog box in which one of the options is to "Repair Internet Explorer" which when chosen, re-runs the setup and solves the whole problem. I would love to use this solution except that there is no way to automate this with LanDesk which we are using to push the package out with. I appreciate any help or insight to this.

Thanks,
    Rob

Thanks

Re: Meta Refresh and Registry (IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP1)

Rob, while I appreciate your dilemma with so many machines, it seems likely that if this one setting is broken, it isn't the only thing broken. Have you run a "before and after" registry/file system comparison on a repaired EVO to see what else is changing? Maybe you can change all the broken pieces with script, maybe not, but I fear there might be several.

Even though it wasn't really intended for this, I'd try InCtrl5 for the data capture and comparison; it's a free utility from PC Magazine/zdnet.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Meta Refresh and Registry (IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP1)

This sounds like a problem with the installation of IE6 -- and perhaps is related to the fact that some machines do not have IE6sp1 installed completely or correctly. This is not a simple registry issue...

It looks like it is the "urlmon.dll" is partly responsible for this behavior. Can you verify the version of this file on the "good" and "bad" machines?

It looks like the most recent version is 6.00.2800.1167.

Perhaps you can fix this by replacing and re-registering this file?? Don't know yet -- still early in the game.

Other important .dll's appear to be:

mshtml.dll 6.00.2800.1141
    shdocvw.dll 6.00.2800.1154

Perhaps something as simple as re-registering these three files will take care of the problem??