Star Lounger
    Thanks

contingency reserve (2000/SR-1)

For the entire length of my project (several months), I have allocated 60 hours for contingency reserve. It can be re-allocated and assigned to any specific task. How do I show this contingency reserve in MS Project?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Thanks

Re: contingency reserve (2000/SR-1)

Caroline,

Interesting question. If you have contingency hours, why would you want to show them in your schedule as they are not part of the original plan. Just keep them in your back pocket for a rainy day.

If you must do this, here are some ideas that may or may not help.
    - Create a material resource of 60 units as zero cost and assign the resource to a task. Reduce the units when hours are re-assigned.
    - Create a fixed duration non effort driven task with a resource called contingency assigned 60 hours of work. Again, reduce when needed.

Neither suggestion works that well as I can think of issues with both. If it was me, I would not show the hours as being available as they were not part of the original plan. Just know that there are 60 extra hours available for planning purposes.

Question - If you have 60 hours of contingency reserve, are all personnel assigned to the project at the same rate? Thus you could have more or less then the 60 hours based on whom the contingency hours are assigned to.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)