New Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting and LInking MS Excel Objects (Office 2000 SR-1)

I'm developing a Word document that I want to be able to automatically update as the Excel workbook that contains its source data is updated. I'm using the Insert object approach with the link checkbox checked. The document has three tables, each tied to data on a different worksheet within the workbook. In order to make this work properly do I have to move the worksheets to separate workbooks and link each of the three new documents. Or is there a way to do it and still keep my original workbook intact, tying each table to its respective worksheet?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting and LInking MS Excel Objects (Office 2000 SR-1)

It's perfectly possible to insert links to different tables (and/or charts) in a single Excel workbook. The tables can be on the same worksheet, or on different worksheets. The easiest way to do so is to go from Excel to word: in Excel, copy the table (or chart) to the clipboard, then switch to Word, select Edit/Paste Special..., click Paste as Link.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans!

Works like a charm. Now Phase II -- what's the best way to send the Word document to a third party. Do I just need to send the Word document and the accompanying spreadsheet, or is something more required? The reason I ask is because I have the Word document in a parent directory and the spreadsheet in a sub-directory on our network, and I know it will work fine for us. But I don't want any mysteries on the receiving end when it goes out of house.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 03-Apr-03 13:28. Ya beat me to it, Hans.[grin])</P>You could use copy & paste special/paste link. This will update immediately & you can select & copy each table separately. Word inserts it with a a switch, which tells it to update automatically.
    Hope this helps,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can break the links before sending it to a third party. Select Edit/Links..., select all links and click Break Link (don't know the exact caption in English)
    Alternatively, select the tables and press Ctrl+Shift+F9. This will unlink ALL fields within the selection, not only linked tables.