Thanks

UnLoad before Close (Access XP)

<font color=ff8c00>Saw some things similar in search but not the same.</font color=ff8c00>

I have a form where hours are entered. When the form is closed, it writes the current record; even if the hours are blank.

I want to prevent a write at all if the close button is clicked. I have already prevented a update with a warning if hours are zero (0).

Is unload the answer? I do not want blank records.
    Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: UnLoad before Close (Access XP)

AFAIK, you can't prevent the current record being saved in the On Unload or On Close event of a form. The On Unload event procedure has an argument Cancel, but that can be used to prevent the closing of the form. To prevent a record from being saved, you must set Cancel = True in the Before Update event procedure.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the BeforeUpdate event of the form, test for blank fields that should contain data. If those fields are blank, use Me.Undo to roll back the update. You don't need to Cancel in that case. You would make it easier on yourself if you indexed the table to prevent nulls in the fields you need to have filled in.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

In circumstances such as these I collect data through unbound text boxes (or other types of control) on an unbound form with Save and Cancel buttons.

When the Save button is clicked the underlying code checks the data for validity and then writes the data direct to the underlying tables before exiting. The Close button simply closes the input form without saving.

The advantage of using unbound input forms is better control of validation and saving of data. The data is only saved when you want to.