New Lounger
    Thanks

Cookies (IE 6 SP1)

I have cookies enabled (ACCEPT ALL COOKIES) in my Internet Explorer settings, but all sites that need them tell me that I must have cookies enabled to use the site. I think that I have looked at every setting on the computer. This computer is set up the same way that my other two XPmachines are set up for IE.

This may be related. Some sites want me to approve the certificate while the same sites don't on my other computers.

HELP please. I use the Internet for legal research and need to be able to access the research sites from home.

BTW, the other two machines have XP Pro and this one has XP Home.

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cookies (IE 6 SP1)

Can you give an example of a site so we can examine how the site is placing cookies?

Can you give an example of what "approving certificates" mean -- are you talking about Secure Socket Layer site certificates?

Have you tried to "repair IE"?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

bleonard--

Puzzling why one machine is the exception--and you're using them all to go to the same sites. On this problem machine, can you try Tools/Options/Advanced/Put Ck. in the Overide Automatic Cookie Handling Box/Click on the "Accept" radio button for 1st and 3rd party cookies and see if this makes a difference?

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Er, Woody's Lounge just happens to be one of the sites, if I remember correctly (I am at the office now and will correct this tonight if I am wrong. Another is "origins.com" where my wife tried to buy make-up. It bombed only when she tried to put something in the checkout.

I think that you are correct about the certificate. Again, I will check that tonight.

No, I am not aware of "repair IE". What is that and how do you do it?

Thanks for responding.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Those boxes are checked. (On my machine, though, it is under Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Advanced.) This is my problem; everything seems to be set up correctly. I have EVERYTHING on the least secure settings. (I hope that Woody doesn't see that statement!!!) I don't want to leave it this way once I find out what is wrong.

Could my router be blocking these? I will check it out tonight. Other machines on the same wireless router don't seem to have a problem, though.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you look at <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ie&Number=239792&page=0&vie w=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=">Posts 240867 and
    240895</A> following Phil's first--you links to "repair" IE methods.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

When the cookies are blocked, do you get that little red eye symbol in the Status bar?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

R2--
    Could you then just either use the edit button to list the sites that are showing the eye and blocking cookies or click the eye and summary button and modify the privacy policy for that site?

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Clicking the eye (or selecting View | Privacy Report) should list the URL's that are using cookies -- and it should state if the cookies were blocked, restricted, or accepted.

If he has ALL cookies accepted no matter what, then modifying the policy for the site should not matter -- you can't get any more 'accepting' of cookies.

I wondered if he was able to see the eye at all! That would help 'triage' his problem:

1) If the cookies are blocked and there is no eye, then something other than IE is doing this.
    2) If the eye is there and it says that the cookies are being blocked -- despite him having all cookies accepted, the the problem is with IE or the registry.