Thread: Metric Indents

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Metric Indents

How on earth do I stop Word using .635 & 1.27 as its default indent stops?
    Despite having set all the settings I know of to metric & cm tabs etc, whenever I use the standard bullets (as opposed to styles) it always defaults back to fractions of inches!!
    Is there anyway to teach it permanently about fractions of cm?

Thanks!??

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Metric Indents

Sorry, I don't have a solution - just to say that we had the same problem.

The only way around it we could come up with was to avoid the use of the bullets and/or numbering buttons altogether, and instead to define our own styles for bullets and numbering, which allowed us to define the indent levels the way we wanted them.

Needless to say it's a bit hard to enforce this kind of regime on users who just want the simplicity of the bullets and numbering buttons. We just tell 'em it's a requirement of our "house style". And we're debating removing those buttons altogether, harsh as that seems, to help enforce use of our house style.

Also worth mentioning that if you do create your own customized styles for bullets and numbering, if you don't set them up as outline numbered, the outdent and indent buttons are still going to promote and/or demote to Word's built-in defaults, rather than your own.
    (I wrote a "smart indent/outdent" macro that works with our house style indents, to replace the standard function behind those buttons, but that's another story...)

Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Metric Indents

Hi David & Gary:

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think you can change it.
    The tabs are hard-coded. The template gallery settings can be modified & the settings are kept in the registry. However, there is no modification for default tabs in Bullets & Numbering. It seems to be unaffected by snap to grid measurements & default tab stops. I've even made those changes in normal.dot & they have no affect on the next document.

I think your solution, Gary, is the only practical way around it.