5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Startup for WIN XP (Home Ed SP1)

I am helping a friend with a GATEWAY 300 S (Celeron 1100) running WIN XP. I have done all the updates to XP, ran defrag and chkdsk. The problem is that it takes NAV (2002) a long time (120 seconds) to fully activate. Other startup programs are going through a similar delay. I have disabled all but NAV 2002. The desktop comes on normally but then just sits there. Then there is a "blink" with all of the icons and finally NAV fully activates (the red X is gone). I increased the RAM from 128 to 256 with no change in the delay. Any suggestions?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Startup for WIN XP (Home Ed SP1)

Just guessing here, as I don't use any Norton products, but is NAV set to do a virus check at startup? Could explain the delay.....

kip

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can dramatically reduse startup time using "Hibernate" option instead of "Shut down".

Thanks

Actually,<UL><LI> 'Start' button > 'Turn Off Computer' > 'Stand By'[/list]would be the better option to significantly reduce startup time. Windows saves any programs or work into RAM in 'Stand By'. 'Hibernate' mode saves them to the hard drive and is really only useful for notebooks. 'Hibernate' sucks less power from your battery, but it will take you considerably longer to get back to work. It only takes about 1 or 2 seconds to come back from 'Stand By' compared to a good 30 seconds or more from 'Hibernate'.

If you need fast access to your computer, set it to 'Stand By' mode. If you have a notebook and you're worried about running out of juice, choose 'Hibernate'. Either one is faster than rebooting.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Either one of these may be good workarounds, but in my case, for example, XP Home goes from completely off to the desktop in well less than 30 seconds. Something is hanging, or something is going on in the background, that causes XP to take well over 2 minutes to boot. That's not normal behavior.

kip

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

NAV has the potential to conflict with so many things--I'd uninstall/reinstall it.

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"2 minutes to boot. That's not normal behavior"
    With any <font color=red>good AV program</font color=red> and with any other good firewall protection, this is more the norm than any other timing.

Also what else do you have loading? Each item will take a bit more time.

"NAV has the potential to conflict with so many things--I'd uninstall/reinstall it."

I have a bigger problem with McAffee, been running NAV since early DOS days, and even beta tested Win XP using NAV and have NOT had any problems.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If a virus check is being run at startup, then yes 2 minutes is perhaps even better than normal, which is why I asked in my first reply if this is the case. Having no direct knowledge of NAV, I don't know (and don't care to know) if a check is available and/or even mandatory at startup. I use AVG, and it initializes within the 30 seconds I have described (of course not doing a complete virus scan in that time!). Just to clarify.....

kip

Thanks

Hi, Kip ~

AVG certainly does initialize very quickly after booting. If I power down, I use 'Stand by' and only reboot if required by software in/unistallation or clean up.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

To reduce the time of AV file check, clean temporary Internet files (open Internet Explorer, from Tools menu choose Internet Options and click Delete Files button, checking Delete All Offline Content on the next window). Notice how much time this cleaning will take.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there any spyware on the computer. You may want to check using Ad-aware or Spybot S&D.