Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

'Subscript out of range' error (XP)

I have about zero understanding of this situation, so I'll just do the best I can to explain it.

I'm building a new database with some pieces imported from an existing DB. Among the imported tables is one I call tbl_Courses, which has a lookup field I call Lab. (We have two learning labs. Some courses are available in one lab or the other, but most are available in both labs.) This field looks up values in tbl_Labs, where the choices are 1 - West, 2 - East, 3 - Both. (The number field is AutoNumber.) With tbl_Courses in design view, I select the Lab field and proceed to use the Lookup Wizard. I select the Labs table, select the two fields, click on Next and...I get an error message: "Subscript out of range." Huh-h-h?

Next I throw myself on the mercy of those wonderful guys who write the Access Help materials. I search via the Index tab and key in "subscript," but what do I get? Just some jibberish about the "IMARGUMENT worksheet function." Beg your pardon?

Clearly I'm missing something, but I'll be sheep-dipped if I can see what it is! Clues, anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: 'Subscript out of range' error (XP)

I believe the cause of the error is that you don't have an entry in the lookup table that matches the one in one of the records in tbl_Courses.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Subscript out of range' error (XP)

Thanks, Wendell. I think I'll just start this project over again and it'll be OK.

On a lighter note, your blurb for your automation tutorial caught my eye, and I'm studying it right now. Automation is another aspect of Office and Access that I want to learn. I appreciate your making the tutorial available!