New Lounger
    Thanks

'Open With' File Associations (Pro/SP1)

After installing SP1 all of my right-click "Open With" file associations are missing. Further, when I attempt to re-associate by right-clicking, selecting the appropriate file type, and checking the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box, my selection is never saved. One other strange behavior is also now occurring. Any file name longer than the old 8 character DOS limitation is displayed in the Open With dialog box with the truncated DOS name (refer to attachment). Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to repair this

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Open With' File Associations (Pro/SP1)

I think the first thing to do is to try uninstalling the service pack and see if your system returns to the correct operating state. The rule of thumb is to first reverse any changes that you have knowingly made. If the problem persists after uninstalling SP1, it's a clue to make note of. For the record, you'll eventually want to make sure SP1 is applied (for the security patches if nothing else), but for troubleshooting purposes removing it should not present any problems.
    -Mark

Thanks

Hi, Timmie ~

As far as the truncated names, XP creates two file names for each file: one is the actual name and another one is the DOS 8.3 short naming version. I eliminated the same problem by doing the following:<UL><LI>'Start' > 'Run' > enter 'regedit'<LI>Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlFi leSystem'<LI>In right pane, look for the key 'NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation'<LI>Right-click > 'Modify' > Under 'Value Data:' enter 1 > 'OK'[/list]This will also decrease CPU time, disk space and fragmentation.

Please make sure you back up your registry beforehand as making improper modifications may render your OS inoperable.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry; I should have mentioned that the first thing I tried was to rollback SP1 using System Restore. Unfortunately, this had no effect. During this same timeframe, I also installed Pinnacle Studio 8 to help a friend who was having problems burining DVDs with that application. I then uninstalled Pinnacle, after which I performed the System Restore rollback to pre-SP1. Then, throwing my hands up in the air, I completely re-installed Windows. However, the problem persists so I felt I could safely eliminate SP1 as the culprit and went ahead and re-applied it. That's where I am today. But thank you for the suggestion. Any other ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the registry hack. I made the change and rebooted but the problem persists. And the Open With dialog box still displays the truncated DOS file name. I must have something else really messed up in the registry. Any other ideas?

billeger

Timmie,

For some systems SP-1 causes some serious problems. Unfortunately, re-installing XP over XP does the same thing -- though, again, not with all systems. This was examined in detail by SlashDot and then to less extent here if you want to follow a Woody's thread <!post=SP-1 Problem,239669>SP-1 Problem<!/post>.

Microsoft was kind enough to help me repair my system to some extent but I continue with some problems and your example is similar to the level of difficulty that continues.

Good luck and aloha from the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

<font face="Snap ITC">Hawai`i Bill</font face=snap>

New Lounger
    Thanks

I mis-spoke in my description of what I had done to try and repair my problem. I performed a system REPAIR -- not reinstall. But thanks for the SlashDot link.