4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Select and move a record (Win ME/Access 97)

I need to select a record with the mouse in datasheet view, move it to another table, and then delete the original record. Can that be done?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Select and move a record (Win ME/Access 97)

It would help if you fleshed out the question a bit more. You could cut and paste it from one table to another if that's what you're asking, but are you working in the tables or from a form? Is this something you want to do using code?
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you mean datasheet view of a table or query? Just use cut and paste.

Or is this in a form in datasheet view? In that case, you need a way to call code. Some possibilities:
    <UL><LI>Place the datasheet form as a subform on a form in form view. Put a command button on the main form.
    <LI>Convert the form to a continuous form (you can make a continuous form look like a datasheet, but you can have a form header and footer, and you have more control over the form.)
    <LI>Use the Form_KeyPress event (combined with KeyPreview = True) to react to a keyboard shortcut.
    <LI>Create a custom toolbar and attach it to the form.[/list]The code to move a record involves constructing the SQL statement for an append query and a delete query and executing them, or creating and storing an append query and delete query with a parameter referring to the form and running them. The exact form depends on the structure of the source and target tables:
    <UL><LI>Do source and target contain exactly the same fields?
    <LI>Does the source contain an AutoNumber field? If so, how about the corresponding field in the target? Is it also an AutoNumber field?[/list]If you would like more detailed instructions, please tell us which of the above options you would like to implement, and provide answers to the questions.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am with you through the keyboard shortcut. Why the custom toolbar? In the append and delete queries, how do I convey to the queries which is the specific record that I want to cut and paste?

The source and target contain the exact same structures, with the exception that the source field has a number field, whereas the target contains an autonumber field.

I know this can be done with cut and paste, but I would like something easier for a user to do.

This is still in the discussion phase, but it looks like something that could be very helpful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The most common way to initiate an action in a form is a command button. In a form in datasheet view, you can't display a command button, however. The first bulleted list was meant as a series of alternatives; one of these is to create a custom toolbar with a toolbar button that moves the current record. You can "tie" a custom toolbar to a form by setting the Toolbar property to yhe name of the toolbar.

You write
    <hr>the source field has a number field, whereas the target contains an autonumber field<hr>
    Are you sure it isn't the other way round? That would seem much more logical.

The queries could look like this:

INSERT INTO tblTarget SELECT * FROM tblSource WHERE ID = [Forms]![frmMyForm]![ID]

DELETE tblSource.* FROM tblSource WHERE ID = [Forms]![frmMyForm]![ID]

tblSource and tblTarget stand for the source and target tables, frmMyForm for the name of the form, and ID for a field that uniquely identifies the record. By referring to the form, you copy/delete the current record.

If you make your form into a subform, the reference should be changed to [Forms]![frmMainForm]![sbfMyForm]![ID] where frmMainForm is the name of the main form, and sbfMyForm is the name of the datasheet form as a control on the main form. This is not necessarily the same as the name of the datasheet form in the database window.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I created a form called Test Move Pagos History and a query called QTest Move Pagos.

The query statement is:

INSERT INTO TPagos
    SELECT * FROM TpagosHistory WHERE ID = [Forms]![Test Move Pagos History]![SeqNum];

The target table is TPagos, source table is TPagosHistory and the unique record identifier is SeqNum.

Right now, I open the form and then go to the DataBase window and run the query. I get a window asking for the paramenter ID.

Shouldn

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The reason you are getting that parameter dialog box is that it cannot recognise ID.

Is ID a field in table tpagosHistory?

Pat

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, Pat. The