New Lounger
    Thanks

RDC from Work (Windows XP)

After moving to a new city, a new job and new home computers a few months ago, I finally got around to setting up Remote Desktop Connection on my main Windows XP machine at home last week.

Life was good. I could now backup all my work files to my home computer and work some extra hours at home whenever I wanted.

But, after a few days I could no longer access my home computer from work! The cause? The folks managing our network noticed all the traffic coming through on port 3389 and disallowed outside access to our network on that port!

I called the guy in charge of our network and he told me that he wasn't likely to change his mind, since accessing my home machine from work via RDC makes our network only as secure as my home computer. This seems reasonable to me, so I couldn't argue much.

Since it appears that access through individual ports is generally allowed until inappropriate traffic is noticed, I guess I could just reconfigure my RDC connection to use another port and get access for a few days at a time - but making the network guys mad would probably be a bad move.

Any IT pros (or anyone else) out there have any ideas? What would convince you to allow users on a network you managed to use RDC from work? Or, should I just give up and shuttle CD's back and forth from work to home?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: RDC from Work (Windows XP)

I am NOT a IT pro, but, my point of view is as follows:
    What would convince you to allow users on a network you managed to use RDC from work? <font color=red>NOTHING</font color=red>

Or, should I just give up and shuttle CD's back and forth from work to home? <font color=red>YES, or if they can be emailed, they would be waiting for you by the time you get home or the office, depending of from where to where.</font color=red>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Dave's suggestion to email them is an excellent one. If, however, the files are too big to be emailed or your inbox is too small to cumualtively handle them, then if you have access to a server, I would recommend uploading them all at one time and then you will have access to them at home as you see fit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

1.) Find out from your network guy what it would take to convince him your home PC is secure. 2.) See if he'd be receptive to a VPN connection 3.) Consider transporting the files via CD. 4.) Many ISPs give a a moderate amount of storage for a web site. So, if the volume is not too large consider creating a web site and uploading the files there. Then you can access from home.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your opinions! I asked about VPN access and was calmly informed - "Yeah, sure - just downlode the Citrix client." I'll be setting it up tonight.