3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HomeUpgrade to XP (Home)

Trying to help a buddy that is currently running Win98SE. Need some advice about whether to go the WinXP Home Upgrade route or bite the financial bullet and go for the Full version. He has slots for two hard drives and we routinely Ghost one to another to have a full backup. Will we be able to transfer files and programs from the secondary drive to the primary drive, whether or not we do a Clean Install. I have Woody's XP All-In-One Desk Reference but still a little uncertain as to which is the best (simplest) route to take. All advice appreciated Thanx.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: HomeUpgrade to XP (Home)

If you have the data ALL back up, I would do a complete clean install. You will nOT have ANY of the old OS and/or any of the left behinds of ANY programs that had been installed and removed. Just make sure you have the latest XP drivers for ALL devices. This will save you some time.

Also, if this machine, is a major OEM, i.e., Dell, HP, Gateway and etc, you may have other problems.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Something else you will need to consider is the size of the Processor. Anything under 500 MHZ and 128 MB of SDRAM is not going to run WinXP at it's full potential.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One other point of clarification: There is no functional difference between XP Home Upgrade and XP Home Full Version other than the upgrade will ask you to prove you have a previous version of Windows (by placing said version in the CD drive when asked). You can (and IMHO really Should) do a complete clean install with an Upgrade version of XP Home. Do, as the Cowboy advises, make sure the machine is capable of running XP, and be advised that 128mb of ram is bare minimum. I noticed significant improvements in performance from 128 to 256, even better at 384, and runs great w/ 512mb (the difference above 512 isn't so noticable)

kip

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yeah I run 768 MB SDRAM with my Virtual Memory Disabled. And Kip is right 128 MB is bare minimum, and I do mean bare Minimum. WinXP loves memory like a kid loves candy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok Thanx ALL very much. With only 128 RAM I guess he'll live with Win98SE for a spell yet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My 2 cents I run WIndows 98SE at work and Windows XP Home Ed at home. I find Windows XP to be more stable and boots up faster. I have never had a BSOD with Windows XP in over a year of running it. It rarely locks up and when it does it can be unlocked without crashing my entire computer. Also Windows XP contains extra functionalityy built in so I find I do not have to add so many extra programs. One example is dowmloading a photos from a digital camera.Windows XP has many drivers buit in and so there is no software to load to enable downloads.