3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

java error (IE 6 on XP pro)

I have IE6 on an XP pro machine. There are numerous parts of web pages that don't respond to my "clicks". In the Status bar at the bottom it reads something like this: java script:void(pickplayerWin('null','null',4/1/03')), another one read: java script:void(0).
    I don't believe there is a script problem because on another machine (XP Hm) the web page works fine.
    what is going on?

Thanks

Re: java error (IE 6 on XP pro)

I think it really is a scripting error. JavaScript is used on zillions of pages, while Java applets are less and less evident.

Subtle changes in security settings can result in page navigation difficulties. If you compare settings under Active Scripting on the two computers, do you see any differences?

You could temporarily turn on script debugging and get an error message that might help, but JavaScript often is pretty obtuse, so there's no guarantee it would be of any use.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

jscher,
    I have adjusted the settings on the problem computer to no avail, I'll look at the setting at work tomorrow on the other machine.

I posted another problem a short while ago. this problem describes another browser problem that may be related. I believe there is a problem on my machine since I replicated the problem using Netscape. Could you look at that posting "IE 6 and Netcape..."
    thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you installed MS's Virtual Machine or Sun's Java Engine, on the problem machine? If not, try and down one of them and install it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went to Sun's down load page, but when I went to download it, it said I had the most current version. I searched microsoft for their virtual machine, but couldn't find the download.
    sorry to be so complicated, but I'm at my wits end. I have a Dell dimension that is about a year old, and this has been a problem for a long time.
    Thanks

Thanks

Hi, Rick ~

Micro$oft removed the download for their virtual machine from their site, but you can get it here <font color=red>--<big>></big></font color=red> Original Microsoft Virtual Machine.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

>>In the Status bar at the bottom it reads something like this: Javascript:void(pickplayerWin('null','null',4/1/03')), another one read: Javascript:void(0).

This has NOTHING to do with Java. This is JavaScript -- just like it says. JavaScript was created by Netscape and is based on Sun's Java programming language -- but JavaScript is is a Scripting language. It does not use Java at all.

Loading Microsoft's VM or Sun's Java Runtime Environment will have no effect on this problem. If you really want to reinstall something, I would recommend reinstalling Windows Script Host. The problem is in scripting -- just like the warning says.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,
    I found the script and reinstalled it and it worked!

On another (maybe related) problem, I found when I go to yahoo's "launch" site for music and video's, that when I click on the link to play the video, nothing happens. On a tip, I ran msconfig and unchecked "load start up items". after doing that, things seemed to run better.
    So, what do you think was going on? and, is there a disadvantage to keeping this setting? If not, where do I go from here?
    Thanks again for the tips

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't use XP (eh, yet), but disabling start up items will generally make computers run smoother because less is loaded into memory. I believe this is much more of a problem with Win98 than XP...

However, this may be a hint that something is starting at startup that is problematic. Can't you selectively remove startup items? You may need to just sequentially remove items until you find the culprit...

If you carte blanc remove all startup items, then something you might want running (e.g, your fax modem or a palm device hot sync program) won't be up and running when you need it.