Lounger
    Thanks

Computer Keeps Rebooting (XP Home - no updates)

A neighbor of mine has asked me to help. Her computer has been working just fine for well over a year. All of the sudden, on startup it just keeps rebooting. It gets as far as the XP startup screen and then a blue page flashes momentarily and then it shuts down and restarts. (The blue page has writing on it but it disappears so quickly that I can't read what it says.) When I boot from the XP CD and choose the restore option, it does the same thing. If I can't get into the system, I'm helpless. Has anyone had or seen this problem before and if so, what's the fix? Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer Keeps Rebooting (XP Home - no updates

Two "popular" possibilities are overheating or a bad stick of RAM. I'd turn the machine off for an hour or so and then try booting. Take a look at the CPU fan too (and any others inside). If it's not a heat problem, you might see if you can get your hands on a spare or temporary stick of memory to try. Or if the machine already has more than one stick in it, try them one at a time, in the primary slot of course.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Also check exspansion cards, such as Video card, Ethernet or Modem to reseat them. Loose cables or power supply.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I tried all of your suggestions but to no avail. I took a video of the evasive blue screen flash and then freeze framed the shot on playback. It displayed the following:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    SystemRootSystem32ConfigSOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Can this file be restored somehow like setting up the drive as a slave and copying a new file to it or something? Or am I looking at a reformat and reinstall?
    Bill

Banned Member
    Thanks

Microsoft Fix Read This

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Cowboy! I'll give it a shot. You're help is really appreciated.
    Bill

Banned Member
    Thanks

You can try this one also. It's just a little different. Click Here

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer Keeps Rebooting (XP Home - no updates)

Is the machine a Compaq or HP? If so, there's a SP1fix that those machines need to avoid (or repair) that issue. You can find it on HP's web site -- or is that Compaq's web site. The filename to look for is SP1RcvryFix.exe.

Sounds like your friend needs to turn off Windows Update...

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks kcs. The machine is a Gateway but I'll check out your suggestion anyway. Maybe it could work on other units beside HP or Compaq.
    Bill

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Cowboy. Your link gave me the message "The requested URL /xp_sys32.htmL was not found on this server."
    I'm still interested though.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I had repeat reboots after running "Chkdsk /r" on boot from Diskeeper once. It wouldn't stop and finally after a search I read someone stopped this by going to the Recovery Console and running that command ("Chkdsk /r"). It stopped it cold and is worth a try. No downside to doing that. The KB below also mentions Last Known Good--I've rarely gotten help from that in a jam. But your error message is specific to registry corruption that won't let a hive file load. Added to Cowboy's KB are these that say essentially there is corruption at some location in the registry with vague connections to either a driver or a hardware problem. I'm sure it can happen without any hardware problem:

314874 How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0XC0000218 Error
    156640 How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0XC0000218Error Win 2000. This recommends a parallel install and a restoring the registry hives in the %SYSTEMROOT%System32Config subdirectory. It's for 2000 and back, but an NT kernel--and may help.
    318159 Damaged Registry Repair and Recovery recommends installing XP SP1 for one of its hotfixes to fix this which you may already have.

Thread on this that might help:
    here

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your efforts to help. I'll surely investigate the information. I can't use the Recovery Console though, as it asks for an administrative password and she hasn't a clue as to what it is. I've installed her HD in my computer as a slave and have backed up all her personal data files. etc., and am about ready to reformat and reinstall. But will still investigate the other options as I would hope for an easier solution. ...and to learn for the future.
    Thanks again,
    Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks

...or the Gateways and Dells of this world might also have a recovery fix. Recovery Console, as mentioned in other messages in the thread, seems like the obvious choice if there is no specific fix form Gateway. Good luck to you and your friend.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Bill, the RC can be useful and they didn't make the password problem very intuitive because it will prompt people for a password they never set--but that's a security feature to keep people out of it because it can make significant changes to your OS. You can use it--just follow these steps to set it to let her in without a password:

If it asks for a password and you haven't set one, then go to the runbox, type in "gpedit.msc" and at Local Comp. Policy>Comp. Config.>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options>Recovery Console>Rt. Click>Properties>Enable Automatic Logon. Boot with the CD in, and when the setup displays the setup screen Choose "To Repair ..." by pressing R. Here's a little on Using the Recovery Console if you haven't before.

I wish I could give you a documented reason why running that command from it seems to work better than 'gui chkdsk' or 'command line chkdsk' but it does.

SMBP