Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Execution of

I created two template documents in Word 2000, intended for the creation of reports that make repeated use of certain constants (such as "he/she", "his/her") in the text. I prompt for these constants by inserting several "ASK" fields at the top of the template. Each of these "ASK" fields prompts the user to type a constant in response to the prompt. The body of the template makes repeated references (by means of inserted cross-references to the named "ASK" bookmarks).

Here (finally) comes the question:
    The shorter of these two templates functions perfectly. When you create a new document from the template, Word spontaneously prompts for responses to each of the "ASK" fields and makes the replacements beautifully.

The longer of the two templates--in which all the relevant material is cut/pasted from the one that works--does not function the same. In documents created from the longer template, the user must perform a CTRL+A/F9 to force the prompts and replacement. It then works fine.

Any ideas why?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Execution of

Hi Langert:

Is it that you have an AutoNew macro in the shorter template. From Word's help:

Create a macro to automatically display ASK fields
    1. On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and click Record New Macro.
    2. In the Macro name box, type AutoNew.
    3. Under Store macro in, click the name of the template.
    4. In the Description box, type any details about the macro that you want to save.
    5. Click OK.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
    7. Press F9.
    8. Press CTRL+HOME so that text is no longer selected.
    9. Click Stop Recording.

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,
    Thanks for the response. I've also read that material from Microsoft, and the odd thing is that neither template has an AutoNew macro...yet they behave differently. I'll create an AutoNew macro for the "problem" template, but I'm just curious how the other one is managing to work without one.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Larry:

I'm curious, too. Maybe you could send it as an attachment (after deleting anything confidential) & we can look at it (or attach both, I think it can only be done 1 at a time).

Thanks

Hi langert,

You may want to take a look at the gender toolbar on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm>my download page</A> (www.addbalance.com/word/download/). It may save you a lot of work.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This appears to be a solution to the issue I'm working on. Thank you very much; I'll give it a try. (My original idea was to use a macro based on a document property to be set by the user, but I had problems getting the values back from those properties. I'll see how you've done it.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, Phil:

Thanks for the response; I look for your postings and appreciate them.

Due to the nature of these documents (psychological reports that my wife creates) I may not be able to send them, even with names removed. (But if she says it's OK, I'll send them to you.) If/when I get to the bottom of this I will be sure to let you know.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Larry:

I wasn't thinking of the documents. I was thinking of the templates, which I assume don't contain any confidential information, since they wouldn't be filled in. Charles solution may work for you & make this moot.