Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro Scandisk at Startup (XP Pro - SP1)

Hi all. I have a Toshiba laptop running XP Pro. For the last few days, whenever I start the computer it insists on going through the scandisk routine, always finding the disk "clean". I don't even have the option of terminating the scandisk. I don't recall making any changes which would cause this, but anything's possible. Do any of you have any ideas on how to stop this behavior? Thanks in advance for your help.

Joel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro Scandisk at Startup (XP Pro - SP1)

There is no Scandisk in Windows XP. If you mean chkdsk, it prompts you to bypass the routine during 5 seconds.
    If this is the case, try Start | Run, type "chkdsk /f" without quotes, click OK and reboot. Then reboot once again. Is chkdsk still prompts you?

If you see checking after Windows started, look which program performs the check by disabling one program at a time in Msconfig | Startup list.

Lounger
    Thanks

Chkdsk - yea, that's it. I guess I've lived through too many versions of Windows and DOS and Norton Utilities [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, I don't even get a prompt. The Toshiba spash screen starts and it immediately goes into chkdsk. Normally, I'd expect it to allow me to press a key to bypass the chkdsk, but it doesn't. I don't even get a progress report on screen as I normally would. At first I thought the darn thing crashed, but I waited it out, and it then started the Windows routine. I remember reading somewhere about an attribute change on some file that would stop this behavior, but I'm at a loss to remember what it was. Maybe someone out there has a better memory than I do.

Thanks for your help. When I get home I'll try the "chkdsk/f" and see if that works. I'm not sure, though, because it says the disk is "clean" each time. I'll let you know.

Thanks again. Joel

Thanks

It's not dual-boot, by any chance, is it?

Lounger
    Thanks

Nope - not dual boot. Upgraded from XP Home to Pro. It was running fine until a few days ago, so I know that the upgrade didn't affect it. That was done the first day I had it. It's about 3 months old.

Joel

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joel--
    To stop this I'd do this: Go to the Recovery Console from the XPP CD if it isn't in already.
    You can install the Recovery Console by putting in the CD , and when asked to upgrade to XP click "No," and at the command prompt type drive: i386winnt32.exe /cmdcons and you'll have it on your hard drive as a start option.

Or boot with the CD in, and when the setup displays the setup screen Choose "To Repair ..." by pressing R. Type "1" when prompted. If it asks for a password and you haven't set one, then go to the runbox, type in "gpedit.msc" and at Local Comp. Policy>Comp. Config.>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options>Recovery Console>Rt. Click>Properties>Enable Automatic Logon.

In the Recovery Console, type the command "chkdsk /r" (no quotes) and often running this command from the Recovery Console can clear up this problem.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'll give it a try tonight. Looks like a busy night. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img])

Joel

Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Solved!!! First, I want to thank you folks for your help. I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing worked. I even reverted my drive to a week ago using GoBack, but that didn't help, so I reset it back to this afternoon's settings. I figured I'd poke around some settings prior to throwing the unit against the wall (I have an extended warranty with CompUSA that covers screen breakage, so this wasn't actually a bad idea). Seriously, though, I went into msconfig to check my settings. In the boot.ini section I noticed that the setting for " /SOS " was set. After checking into the Google groups I found that this boots the computer using a safe mode. Sure enough, that was my problem. I unchecked the box, and the unit booted perfectly. I don't remember ever changing this setting. No idea how it happened. I'd blame my son, but he doesn't have my password [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Anyway, I'm back in business and glad that I'm not afraid to tinker around.

Again, thanks for the help. This is a great place.

Joel

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this info Joel--will have to google this.

SMBP