New Lounger
    Thanks

Symbol Font displayed instead Monotype, locks (Wor

Hello,
    I am new here and I am trying to help a colleague who migrated a Word document from an older version (?) to Word 2000. He opened it and discovered that certain Monotype Sort characters (dots and arrows) were displayed as Symbol characters (greek letters). (On my own computer the document looks perfectly OK.)
    He tried to overtype these by selecting the desired symbols from the Insert>Symbol menu. Word always locks and has to be restarted. Where is the source of this behavior? He already tried to execute the replacing in Normal view but it didn't help.
    I would appreciate your help. I am sorry when your already offered a solution to this sort of problem and if I only failed to find it.
    Which advice can I give to my colleague? Thanks a lot in advance.
    Ingrid.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Symbol Font displayed instead Monotype, locks

One thing I would take a look at is to go to Tools/Options/Compatibility tab & click on the Font Substitutions button. See what fonts are being substituted. Also, I would check if the fonts are installed on his computer (Windows/Fonts file). Other than that, they could try starting Word from the command line (Step 2 in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> to see if something else is causing the crash. Note Step 1 in that post would be to delete temp files.