Thanks

Access & MS Briefcase (Any)

Access automatically forces one to make DB replicates when including Access databases and using MS Briefcase. I do NO want replicates, but I do want to use briefcase for other reasons. Can anyone give me a way (maybe a DOS batch file that temporarily changes *.mdb to *.mdbx across multiple folders/subdirectories) to force Briefcase to simply treat *.mdb's as regular, non-replicate files? My problem is that I have several Access databases in different folders, all of which need to be in the Briefcase. And I can't afford to have the extra replicate fields since it would confuse my students.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access & MS Briefcase (Any)

There is no way to force briefcase to treat an mdb as a regular file. "Briefcase" is short for "briefcase replication" and it is doing exactly what it was designed to do. You're either going to have to teach your students how to handle replicated files or use some other technique than briefcase.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Thanks. Charolette. Still, my beginning Access students can get confused if the database displays and structures I show them on my projection screen differ from what they're seeing on their own screens. I have successfully, temporarily, and individually renamed my *.mdb files to *.mdbx and Briefcased them without a replication problem; I just wanted a batch/wholesale way to do it. When I used to have Xtree software, it would have handled the problem with aplomb.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the point of using briefcase if you aren't replicating the database? Renaming the file might allow you to handle it as something other than a database because temporarily it *is* something other than a database. If you just want to distribute the file somehow, put it on a network drive or ftp site and let them download it.
    Charlotte