Star Lounger
    Thanks

'make available offline' greyed out (Win XP Pro)

(Edited by Leif to make link live - see the quick guide)

Could anyone help me with the following trouble I have with WinXP Pro and getting the offline files to work as I want? I've posted some screenshots to help explain at...

http://www.countyupper.suffolk.sch.uk/temp...ine/offline.htm

kind regards,

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'make available offline' greyed out (Win XP Pro)

I have seen Offline folders enabled and the option to disable them greyed out. This was because this was a Redirected folder (My Documents) and had been configured with a GPO. You can get the same effect by using TweakUI to move My Documents to a network share, or by editing the registry keys at [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerUser Shell Folders]

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Our users have a mapped drive N: to their "MyWork" folder on the server where they store all their files - I have also changed the Windows XP "My Documents" to point to N:mywork - is this the trouble then?

I've just added another screenshot at http://www.countyupper.suffolk.sch.uk/temp...ine/offline.htm to show the settings I have in the registry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I have also changed the Windows XP "My Documents" to point to N:mywork - is this the trouble then?<hr>
    I think so, I have never seen this documented, and when I did it I changed My Documents to ServerShareFolder but it sounds very similar.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do you suggest I resolove this? Leave My Documents pointing to the default location on the C: drive and then just have a shortcut to n:mywork, or maybe I have to use UNC paths, server1usershare ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know this is a silly question, but why does it need to be resolved?

You could leave My Documents on the local system and just map the drive.
    You could leave My Documents on the local system, map the drive and include a shortcut to the mapped drive in My Documents
    You could keep My Documents on the network with offline folders enabled.
    What you (apparently) can't have is My Documents on the Network without offline folders.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, firstly, thanks very much for your help, and taking the time to reply.

To go back a step...the owners of the notebooks don't always bring them into work, in which case they work from a workstation and access their files at n:mywork - when they use their notebooks offline they can also save to n:mywork (it looks no different to them, even though it's caching it locally) When they do connect to the network the files get synchronised and all is great except that they get errors because one folder within n:mywork (n:myworkappdata) contains outlook express files which can't be synchronised - what I want to be able to do is untick the option to "make available offline" for this folder, and I can't!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could enable synchronisation of the file types that are giving you a problem. You do this in a GPO by setting the value of
    Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesNetworkOffline FilesFiles not cached
    mine is set to a value of *.CacheAllFiles

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've finally crackd it - with your help of course!

It was changing the path of My Documents (right click, properities) to n:mywork that caused the problem - if this is left to the default (c:documents and settingsusernamemy documents) then I can set n:mywork for offline and can also either tick or untick the option to "make available offline" for each sub folder or file - this is what I couldn't do before. This means that I can now untick the one folder that was giving erors at logon and logoff.

My objective was to give users just one place to save all their files, and not have some on the local drive that wouldn't get synchronised to the network (therefore probably never getting backed up). I've also now changed the Places Toolbar for the Office applications, so here too, they get pointed back to n:mywork.

Thanks for your help.