New Lounger
    Thanks

Daylight Savings Time and Outlook (2002 (10.4712.4219) SP2)

This story gets a little convoluted and involves a couple of cross-country moves, two different PDAs and some incredible frustration.

With my old computer, I lived in the Mountain Time Zone, used a Windows CE-based Casiopeia PDA with Microsoft Schedule+ on my computer. Because of some work I was doing for AOL, I had my computer clock set to Eastern Time (AOL's default time) and my PDA set to Mountain Time (two hours earlier), but it all worked. I then reset my computer to Mountain Time, and it still all worked.

Then I bought a new computer with Windows XP. Instead of Schedule+, I switched to Outlook with my old PDA. I moved in September to the Central Time Zone. and tried to switch my clock. Moving the computer clock ahead an hour (and the PDA) made all my appointments move ahead an hour. Because I was starting a new job and a new life, I just deleted everything on my calendar and started over. (I regretted this at tax time, alas!)

Things went fine until the end of October, when it was time to switch from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time. When the computer made the switch, all my appointments in Outlook were suddenly off by an hour. Anything that was an all-day event from midnight to midnight now had a banner over TWO days, stretching from 11pm to 11pm. All my other appointments were an hour early. I disabled the automatic update to Daylight Savings Time and reset my clock. I think I manually changed all my appointment. It was a huge pain in the neck.

Last Sunday, I tried to switch back to Daylight Savings Time. Again, all my appointments want to jump ahead an hour. So, I disabled the automatic feature, set the clock ahead manually, and all the appointments in Outlook went back to normal.

The problem with this is that because my computer clock is not now set to adjust for Daylight Savings Time, my email program (not Outlook, but The Bat!) is not time-stamping my messages correctly. The Bat! wants to pick up the time on the computer clock, which it thinks is Central Standard Time.

I have downloaded Service Pack 2 to get the latest clock fixes -- no difference. I tried tech support with Dell -- they couldn't help. I have asked all my techie friends -- they sent me here.

I just want my computer to work. I want to update automatically between Standard Time and Daylight Savings Time, I want to synch with my Palm, and I want the time-stamping on my email program to be picking up the correct time so that emails are again in their proper sequence. I think I should be able to do this. I just want to know how. (And I need the info in plain English, if possible, not too much tech-speak.)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Jeanny

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Daylight Savings Time and Outlook (2002 (10.4712.4219) SP2)

This is nasty! I don't have the problem, with only one PC and only one Palm PDA, but it is important to change the the Palm time correctly after the PC switches to/from DST, and BEFORE your next sync. The Palm and the PC should always show the same approximate time. Are you sure that your Outlook is set for the correct Time Zone? Check Tools, Options, Calendar Options, Time Zone, make sure you are on US Central. Outlook doesn't necessarily get the Time Zone correct; in one of my corporations' rollouts, across the US including Alaska and Hawaii, the Outlook Installation standard "ghost" was to set everyone on Eastern Standard! This caused meeting invitation chaos until the problem was explained and resolved.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

>>Are you sure that your Outlook is set for the correct Time Zone? Check Tools, Options, Calendar Options, Time Zone, make sure you are on US Central.<<

Yes, both Outlook and Windows XP are set to US Central Time (without, of course, the option for Daylight Savings Time checked).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm out of ideas, except to synchronize again and have Outlook Override Palm for the Calendar. (I use the Palm default, free, Chapura PocketMirror 3.1.2 and Palm Hotsync 4.0.2 to sync, if you use something else, I don't know how you would set that up. In PocketMirror, open the PocketMiror App, click on Chapura Settings, click Outlook Calendar, Change, in the dialog box in the "One TIme Action of Next Sync" section, check the "Outlook Overrides Handheld" button.)
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You "found" a bug in OLXP SP1. It was fixed in SP2, but you're not seeing the fix take place makes this an interesting problem. I think JohnBF is on track about the PDA. If it was me I'd get the Outlook and the computer clock back in sync. Then I'd do a hard reset on the PDA and sync everything fresh.

My office got hit by this problem. About 1,000 users, running Outlook on Terminal Server, got hosed. The funny thing was that we had 300+ users with local installs on SP2 and they were fine. But people from the two groups were both showing up at conference rooms for different meetings, and getting into arguments over who really had the room. Anyway, SP2 fixed the problem for us.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, here's what I did. We'll see if it was the right thing to do when October rolls around and we have to change back to standard time.

I followed John's suggestion and overwrote the PDA with the PC, changing the Chapura settings. Then I changed the PC so that it automatically updated for DST. Then I went through and painstaking, laboriously, manually changed all my appointments between now and the end of October. (The ones that occur between October 2003 and April 2004 had not automatically advanced an hour.) Then I re-synched with the Palm, again, overwriting from the PC to the Palm. Now, I'm on track again. As I say, we'll see what happens in October.

How do I do a "hard reset" on the PDA?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

On the 'm1nn' series, hard reset by pushing a paperclip into the little hole on the back marked "RESET". HOWEVER, don't do this unless your Palm is totally locked, which yours apparently isn't. Hard Resets may lose data.
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

> You "found" a bug in OLXP SP1

Aha! Thanks, I didn't know about this.
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for posting this question! I am truly, truly grateful. I have had the same problem. Added to my confusion is that I recently got a new Dell PC with Office XP, so upgraded from Office 2000 to XP -- and then somewhat later upgraded my PDA from a Visor Prism to a Sony Clie. I'm also taking some seizure medication -- and, well, I have my moments. I thought I had screwed something up, even though I was really careful when I moved everything to the Dell, and really careful again when I did the PDA upgrade. Then, all of a sudden, everything jumped off an hour. I've been pondering where I made my mistake -- but, aha! It wasn't me! Phew!

I'm sorry you (we!) don't have an answer, though.

Sheryl