New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost XP appearance (Pro 02 SP1)

Hi, My power went off yesterday. When I rebooted, my display appearance had changed from XP Silver (nice), to 98 Classic; and the theme file has disappeared. Now, while I loved that appearance, I've grown fond of the green Start Menu button!!! I've chkdsk'd and dfrg'd, and there is an unrecoverable fragment of 124 bytes...I know there's got to be a registry hack for it, but I've no idea where to look: can anyone help me, pleez?

Thanks

Re: Lost XP appearance (Pro 02 SP1)

Hi, Greggy ~

To get your appearance back:<UL><LI>Right-click on your desktop > 'Properties' > 'Appearance' tab<LI>Under 'Windows and Buttons:', scroll to 'Windows XP style'<LI>Under 'Color scheme:', scroll to 'Silver'<LI>'Apply' > 'OK'[/list]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce, thanks mate, but the listing isn't there anymore: as in, GONE, off my hard drive; I spent a LOT of time searching for all kindsa files that it might have been (system folders, etc.)- but it's just vanished. The only choice I get in your method is Windows Classic; I've looked right down to registry level. I've tinkered in there quite a bit with 9x, but with the NTFS of xp, the extra layers of 'networked' registry settings tends to lose me. So if any of you 133t's know what to do, I'd be ever so grateful: I feel absolutely bereft without my cheerful little button. Cheez,
    G

Banned Member
    Thanks

Have you tried to Restore To An Earlier Time, Or Last Known Good Configuration?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If you can not fix it with either of Cowboy's suggestions, try running SFC /scannow. If that does not work, you can try a repair installation as long as you have a MS product CD and not a vendor recovery CD.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Hi, Greggy ~

Check C:WINDOWSResourcesThemesLunaShell.

If you have a 'Homestead' <small>(olive)</small>, 'Metallic' <small>(silver)</small>, and 'NormalColor' <small>(blue)</small> folder each with a 'shellstyle.dll' file, then you still have it and can enable it via the 'Browse...' on the 'Theme' tab in 'Display Properties'.