Thread: Powerpoint 97

New Lounger
    Thanks

Powerpoint 97

My firm has prepared a new template for all Powerpoint presentation. The template is over 100 kb, so presentations get big quickly.
    Is it possible to set up this template as a "Slide Master"? Slide Masters seem to use up hardly any space.

I also thought that if i set up the template as a "Design" it might not take up as much space. If that is true is it possible to convert the template to a "design"?

Thank You

Thanks

Re: Powerpoint 97

Templates and Designs are the same thing. Bad form on MS's part to use such confusing language (but we know it won't be the last time).
    When you use a template to create a presentation, the Slide Master is automatically created. The slide master controls many aspects of appearance for the entire file.
    Hmmm, it just struck me. Is the file you are calling a template saved with the .pot extension? Or is it an ordinary PowerPoint file with the .ppt extension?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

It is a "POT" extension.
    It just seems to be taking up a lot of space to me.
    Here is my main issue;
    When you drag onto a template, the template moves and you can see a blank slide under it. When you drag on a "Slide Master" nothing happens. That is what gave me the impression that the template was using up space since it seems to be a slide on top of another slide. In essence you are doubling up the amount of space in the presentation.
    Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Thanks

I assume you are talking about dragging a graphic onto a slide? Are you in slide view in your template when you are doing this?
    Just curious.
    A template has its' own Slide Master (you probably knew that already - I'm just pointing that out for those following the thread).
    I think what you are noticing is an artifact of your display.
    But when you are viewing the Slide Master you are viewing a lower level of your presentation/template.
    What is in your template? Graphics? Sample Slides?
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this sort of thing before. An agency (who probably had no experience/expertise of PowerPoint, just MAC) was commissioned to produce some new PowerPoint templates. What they did was produce a snazzy graphic in some application (including the company logo as an insert) and then size it so it was exactly PowerPoint slide size. They then created a two slide PowerPoint presentation (title and bulleted text), opened the respective Slide Masters, deleted all fields and then pasted the graphic on to it. This was then saved "as a template for everyone to use". Of course it was saved as a .pps file on a web site. The method of use was for everyone to download it (!), open it and use Save As when the presentation was completed.

This produced a default file of roughly the same size as you are describing, which obviously then led to huge presentation file sizes.

Difficult to believe, ain't it?
    Silverback

Thanks

From where I sit ... no.
    Knowledge about any desktop applications sometimes seems like a very rare thing.
    OOps I must be having a bad day!
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Brian

I think Brian hit my issue right on. Unfortunately the template we designed has our Corporate logo on it, so i cannot attach it to give an example. However, I did a small experiment that should explain it.
    I prepared three 10 slide powerpoint presentation. One without any design or template (Presentation # 1), One with a design selected from the "built-in " slide designs (Presentation # 2) in Powerpoint and one with our new "Template" (Presentation # 3).
    After saving these files this is their size compairison:

Presentation # 1: 24 KB
    Presentation # 2: 29 KB
    Presentation # 3: 140 KB

So unless i can find a way to convert the "Template" into a "Slide design" it seems this will be an on-going issue.

Thanks for all your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A long shot this, but it might just work.
    The agency I mentioned just happened to have used the colour blue on their graphic which exactly matched the blue available in the PowerPoint Format | Background palette.
    What some people did was to open the 'template' slide master and copy the graphic. Then, using their favourite graphics programme(paint shop pro was definitely used by some) they cropped the graphic to leave only the company logo. This was saved in a compressible file format (.gif, .png etc). Then they created a a new presentation, went to the slide master, formatted the background to the blue colour and finally imported the company logo.
    This gave a slide master which was indistinguishable from the original 'template', albeit that it might have needed a bit of work to smooth the edges.
    Of course, this only worked because the template was pretty simple and the colour just happened to be available in PowerPoint; you know whose law says that this probably won't be possible with your problem, but I posted this just in case it stimulates your thought processes on how you might overcome this problem.
    PowerPoint files are big enough, without having a 100Kb per slide start!
    HTH
    Silverback

Thanks

"Template" indeed. Those numbers are scarrry! So what did they do? Is it the graphics? Do they have dummy slides in there or what? I'm fascinated in a kinda creepy horror-struck way.
    For those who've been following this discussion and want to step through how to create a template, try this link.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://http:url>
    http://www.webgenii.com/webgenii/que...f_the_week.htm</A>
    You'll find the March 20th link addresses this very question.
    coincidence? hmmm.
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information on Templates. You were very helpful.

Ray2073