Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Version Numbers (XP Version?)

Just installed a new, legal, OXP Premium on my new Dell WinXP Pro PC. The Dell came with MS Works 7, which included Word ??. I am trying to determine what service pack, if any, was installed. The Office box and CD just say XP Premium, version 2002. Help/About does not say (SP-1). All of the apps (except Word) have a version of the form 10.26XX.2625. MS KB article 307843, Overview of SP-1, says that all apps will show 10.34XX or 10.35XX after SP-1 installation. So, it looks like I have OXP original. However, Word has a version 10.4030.2625. How did that happen?

Is it OK to install SP-1? I have WOW V7 #4, which lists all the pre-installation steps to ensure a successful install.
    Thanks,
    Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Version Numbers (XP Version?)

Word is the only of the Office applications that was already on your PC; apparently this was a more recent version than the one in Office Premium. I'd say to go ahead and install SP-1, then SP-2. Create a System Restore Point before and after installing SP-1. That way, you can always go back if things go wrong.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good suggestion. I think you are right about a later version of Word. I checked Winword.exe and it has a date of 5/3/02, while Excel, Ppt, etc. all have dates of Feb or March 2001. I wonder if MS has a special version of Word for MSWorks, or at least a different version numbering. KB article 325671 says Word SP-2 is 10.4219, so it looks like Word from Works is an oddball.

Regards,
    Howard

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Howard--
    Am I missing something in this? If Dell OEM'd you Works 7.0 it include Word 2002. I pasted this from the Works 7.0 site:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six Microsoft products in one box
    With Works Suite 2003, you'll pay less than half the cost of buying all these products separately:

Word 2002 Use the same premier word processor featured in Microsoft Office XP. Word 2002 features

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,
    I'm not sure what you are missing. I know that Works 7.0 includes Word XP. The question at hand is what version of Word XP do I have now? Did the Office XP Premium install overwrite the Word that was there, or did it leave it alone. The version number displayed in Help/About (see my original post) does not correspond to MS listing of SP-1 or SP-2.
    Howard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Howard,
    Check out <!mskb=331987>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 331987<!/mskb> - it mentions a Word version similar to yours, though it deals with the case where Works is installed after Word 2002.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    Thanks for the post. It looks like the Word version from Works uses a different numbering scheme (probably to identify its origin as part of Works). I suspect that the Office install saw Word was already there, and was the same version as on the CD, so it skipped Word installation. After I do the update to SR-1 I'll recheck the version #s and report back.
    Thanks,
    Howard

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Howard does the info in "How to Verify the Version Property for the Executable File" in 291331 How to: Check the Version of Office XP help because the information you get from the executable from Word or whichever program is inquestion supersedes the info from Help and About?:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The executable file names are the same for every version of Office and are as follows:
    Excel.exe
    Frontpg.exe (included in the Professional Plus suite)
    Msaccess.exe (included in the Professional suite)
    Outlook.exe
    PowerPnt.exe
    Winword.exe

After you locate the Office program you want to verify, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
    In Windows Explorer, right-click the file, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
    Click the Version tab. The file version follows the same aa.bbbb.cccc format described in the How to Understand the Version Number section of this article.

IMPORTANT: If the version listed in the About Microsoft Program dialog box is different from the version that is listed in the version property for the program's executable file, you should always consider the version property for the executable file to be the updated version number.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,
    Please review Post: 243005 above. Both Help/About ( 10.4030.2625) and Winword.exe (10.0.4030 ) say it's version 4030. Unfortunately, this version seems to fit no description known to man. MS KB article 307843 says Word 10 SP-1 is version 3416, while KB 325671 says Word 10 SP-2 is version 4219. Where does 4030 come from? Is it SP 1.5?
    Howard

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Howard--
    I have reviewed that post. You reference Help/About and winword.exe--I assume in the runbox to bring up Word and its date. If you are using winword.exe somewhere else or some other way let me know. But my understanding of KB 291331 that you get the most precise, accurate information about which Word version works has by doing what the KB article says (Review Post 243482 and the KB). The instructions are to open Windows Explorer, rt. click the particular file whose version you want, click properties on the shortcut menu, and then the Version tab. This tells the numbering system and it explains it.

I see from your KB's that Setup.ini Version Is Not Updated when SP1 or SP2 are installed, but why won't the KB I referred you to work?

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,
    Sorry if my last post did not make clear that I did exactly what you and the KB suggested. The properties for Winword.exe show the Product Version and the File Version are both 10.0.4030. Simple question: Is this Word original, Word SP-1, Word SP-2? I'm not sure what you mean by "...why won't the KB I referred you to work?" It works, I found the version and that version is not listed anywhere.
    Howard

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Wanted to help; that's the best info I can find. But there's a stone you're not turning. You are provided free information on problems with install of apps, hotfixes, service packs. This falls under that category and only takes a minute. Surely MS Word Support can sort this out. That will get you the answer. I'd make the call, but I don't have your machine to talk to them with. Either that or emailing a MS Word MVP--some of whom might be in the lounge. There's a link at the bottom of the forums list page to the MSN newsgroups for Office--you can put it up there in a word group, and I believe the lounge has a category for problems not solved. I went on and put your problem up on an MSN Word newsgroup. If you get the answer, please post it.

Good luck,

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I got the following answer from a MS Word MVP:
    <font color=blue>_______________________________________ _________________</font color=blue>

Is this Works or Works Suite? If Works Suite is installed, and you install
    Office over it, Word will not be replaced.
    <font color=blue>_______________________________________ _________________</font color=blue>

If you let me know whether it's Works or Works Suite that came with your new Dell OEM, I can probably hone in on the answer.

Thanks,

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,
    Thanks for spending all this time on such a silly problem. It is MS Works Suite 2003.
    Howard

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Howard--

Taking that info, I received this back from the Word MVP:
    <font color=448800>__________________________________________________ ______________</font color=448800>

"Is this Works or Works Suite? If Works Suite is installed, and you install Office over it, Word will not be replaced." If it's Works Suite 2003 that is being installed over:
    "If you want all of Office XP to have the same version number (and the same
    CD key), you need to uninstall Word from Works Suite and then reinstall
    Office to add Word."
    <font color=448800>__________________________________________________ _______________</font color=448800>

Hope this is helpful.

SMBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast