Star Lounger
    Thanks

Storing Email Address's (Access 2000)

I have an access database on my web site that keeps track of people who fill out my info form. I would like to know a way I can click on the email field and send email to that person when I view the table or when I export the table to excel format be able to click on the email address and send mail.

Please help........

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

Neil

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Storing Email Address's (Access 2000)

I don't know about excel, but in your Access Database you can format your field as a hyperlink. When you enter the email addresses, enter them with the words "mailto:" (and the colon no space before the address i.e. mailto:someone@isp.com) in front of the address so Access knows it's a link to email instead of a website. When you click on the address, Microsoft will launch an blank email message from your default email program.

Hope that helps!
    -cynthia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a way to have the mailto: hidden or something in the field so that a customer only has to enter the email address not mailto:

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Someone else may know of a way. I don't. I tried having a field with just the email address, and that field had an "after update" event which generated the address with the mailto: added in a separate field - but the clickable function will not work in a hyperlink field unless you have done something to manually enter it, or at least it wouldn't in any of my experiments. We do all the data entry in our ourselves, so that is not really a problem for us now that we have the habit of adding the mailto:. I used some other workarounds to get the addresses to work properly for bulk mailing and to print without the mailto: in our directory and the like.

We love the clickable function in the database. Hope you can get it to work for yours.

-cynthia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh - there is another way. If you are using Outlook as your email program, there are lots more options for generating email messages. You might check out our discussion in this thread <!post=Email from hyperlink,96463>Email from hyperlink<!/post> and see if anything there helps.

-cynthia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check out http://aspemail.com/ for a freeware method for adding email capability via VBA.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada