Lounger
    Thanks

System Hangs at Logon Prompt

I have this problem on a couple machines. When I boot the systems and when it gets to press CTRL ALT DELETE The system hangs at loading your settings until I press CTLR ALT Delete again. Then it will continue to finish booting. Any suggestions.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Hangs at Logon Prompt

Marie,

Can you boot successfully into Safe Mode? If you can, this means that a driver or startup item prior to the logon screen is causing the problem.

Are the machines in question identical hardware, or different internally? The fact that it happens to more than one system indicates, to me, that it's a driver that's being loaded and is misbehaving.

Finally, what is the service pack level of these machines? Clean installations, SP 1, 2 or 3?
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

The machine does boot successfully. It just that they get annoyed when they have to press CTRL ALT DELETE twice. I did disable this option under users and passwords, just to see once this screen comes up loading your systems settings, if they would have to press it again. Sure enough they did. but. I did not try in safe mode. I will try that. The three machines that are doing this are all the same. They so have SP3 for windows 2000.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Marie, that being the case, can you list the hardware installed in these units? Also, select one as your "guinea pig" for testing so that you can narrow the cause down, since it can be replicated. Were these clean installs, or ghosted images?
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another thought on this...sorry for the late reply, but if the machine has booted to the log on prompt, with no problem, most drivers and such are loaded already. One issue could be a corrupt profile. Just copy relevant profile info somewhere else, wipe out the user's profile, and have them log in again. A good way to test for a bad profile, is log into the same machine with another account. (Try an existing account on that machine....if that works, it's a definite profile issue. If it doesn't, then it's universal, and not a profile issue....)