5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

tally marks (Word 97 sr2 on Win 98)

A search of this forum gave me no hits for 'tally' so this must be a no brainer that I'm missing...

I want to create a tally mark, i.e. IIII with a diagonal strikethrough. Yes I could use a simple horizontal strike through via Format | Font but I'm fussy about such things being just so.

stuck

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: tally marks (Word 97 sr2 on Win 98)

I'm sure there's a better way, such as a font that contains such things, but could you use the drawing toolbar to make a diagonal line across 4 capital "eyes", using Arial font. If you could, you could select it & make an autotext entry out of it. The only trouble would be that it's not visible in normal view. If you just wanted just the diagonal line as an autotext entry, you could format the line so that it's position would be Format/Autoshape/Advanced/
    horizontal: to the left of "character"
    vertical: below "line"

& then make an auto text entry out of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Phil,

After I posted it struck me that I could try the "use Arial 'eyes' with a diagonal via the drawing toolbar, then make it an autotext entry" idea but for reasons that are unclear I couldn't get the diagonal line bit to become part of the autotext. However, as is the way with these things, a fresh attempt on a new day and it works first time!

(un)stuck
    PS in Wd 97 there does not appear to be an Advanced option in Format | Autoshape, you can only position relative to Column, Margin, Page and Paragraph

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad it worked. I do recall there are some differences in the dialog boxes between 97 & 2K. However, you mention that Word 97 has column, margin, page, & paragraph. I wonder if 97's pargraph is equivalent to 2K's line (for horizontal alignment).