Thread: Red-lining

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red-lining

Windows 98 SE
    Both CPU utilisation meters on Norton System Doctor and on NetMedic have started showing 99% to 100% CPU usage of my 400 MHz Celeron..
    I suspected either Firewall or AntiVirus might be the cause, so I went into System configuration utility and unchecked the entire Startup element.
    On rebooting, all was normal for a few minutes using Word 7 but eventually the usage meters clicked up to the top again.
    The meters stayed stuck up top when I closed Word, leaving NetMedic and Norton as the only items on the taskbar.
    Taking either of these off left the other one still at the top of the scale.

Is there a background Windows operation that has gone berserk, or are these meters useless?
    Is there a utility that shows which executables are taking up how mich CPU load?

PS Of course, I loaded Agnitum Firewall and McAfee AntiVirus before going on line to Woody's Lounge: still re-lining on both meters.
    All help gratefully received!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Red-lining

Have you tried running Ad-Aware or similar as I've seen DoubleClick and the like impact systems so heavily that they seem to freeze?
    Granville

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Red-lining

I noticed you said the meters show such and such, but have you noticed any performance problems, or are you just worried because of what the meters are showing? Hope thats not a stupid question, but I didn't see where you said anything about performance problems.