3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

linking selected text (Word 2002)

I cannot get the following feature to work:

Select text
    Drag with right mouse button
    With left mouse button, click "link here."
    Changes made to original will be made in copy

The copy is made but changes made to the original are not made in the copy. I have tried this in other computers using Word 2000 and it works. I have tried troubleshooting techniques. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
    Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: linking selected text (Word 2002)

Have you tried selecting the target text (or the whole document) and pressing F9 to update? In my Word 2002 (SP-2), links within a document are not "live".

For a link within a document, I usually create a bookmark for the source text, and insert a cross-reference at the target location. This has to be refreshed by F9 too. In Tools/Options..., Printing, you can specify fields to be updated when the document is printed.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Alan:
    I'm not familiar with Word 2002 because I use 2000. In 2000, it's the a switch that causes the link to update automatically. Press Alt+F9 & make sure the switch is there.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thank the above two people who wrote back. However, I have gotten in trouble. Pressing F9 did not help me. I tried Alt+F9 and now the link looks like this:
    LINK Word.Document.8 "C:My Documentsflamingtext instructions.doc" "OLE_LINK9" a r
    I don't know what I'm doing and I admit I'm not familiar with switches. I do notice a and r but I don't know what they mean. Someone please help.
    Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I opened a blank document and pressed Alt + F9. I no longer get that long indication that I do not understand. However, I'm back to where I started. Changing the original text does not change the linked copy. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you insert a link, Word creates something called a field. (You can also insert fields directly with the menu option Insert/Field...)

The keyboard shortcut Alt+F9 toggles between viewing field results and field codes. Look up 'Field Codes' in the Answer Wizard in Help, and look at the subjects suggested, then look up 'Field Codes Link' to get information about the Link field, including an overview of available switches.

I don't know why F9 won't update the field.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans. I just tried what you instructed me to do and it works. I find that I must put the cursor within the target text. I admit that I must learn about field codes. Thank you again.
    Sincerely,
    Alan Silberlight

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have been trying this again. The linked text now updates automatically. I have not been pressing the F9 key. Could it be that I knocked Word into submission by pressing it before? In any case, I am grateful for all the help.
    Alan Silberlight

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

HI Alan:
    There is a slight delay before Word will update the linked fields. If you undo the update, Word won't automatically update the field again until there is another change or you manually update it. Perhaps that is what happened. It's hard to say. When you change the original field, the link won't update until you move the cursor out of the field or until some specified time elapses.
    Hope this helps.