Lounger
    Thanks

duel Outlook Personal Folders (2002)

I have somehow managed to create an Outlook Personal Folder which has embedded in it an Outlook Test folder. When I open Outlook both folder load and both collect all sent and received messages in duplicate sub-folders. Further when I make a sub-folder in Outlook Personal Folder, an identical sub-folder is created and made active in Outlook Test.

How do I delete the Outlook Test folder? Also, since every time a create a new Outlook Personal Folder after a backup, the Test folder is also created so it must be in the registry somewhere. How do I find it to delete it in the registry?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: duel Outlook Personal Folders (2002)

Can you right click on the 2nd instance of the folder and choose to close it? Sounds like you just have an additional reference to the same folder.

Lounger
    Thanks

No I can not, the close folder option is grayed out and it is listed in the close folder option as the main outlook folder.

Can anyone kindly explain how to get this duplicate flag removed so I don't have duplicate files and messages? Thanks.

Regards,

Thanks

Try using the Inbox Repair Tool, scanpst.exe (search here to find out where it is if you don't find it in a search of your computer).

If that doesn't clean it up, can you explain how it is embedded? Is it a subfolder of your Inbox?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response. I ran scanpst.exe and it found no problems. So that did not fix the problem, though it did indicate from the number of folders and files that I do indeed have a duplicate set.

The folder "Outlook Today - [Test]" which contains a complete duplicate of the folder "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders] is in the same branch of the file tree as the folder "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]. This Test folder loads before the regular Outlook Today folder upon startup of Outlook 2002. And every message sent or received is done so in duplicate.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

Regards,

Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your quick response. The first article actually allowed me to fix the problem. It turned out the the "test" file was actually the active *.pst file so I could not remove it. So I removed the Personal Folders file which was not "active" and then renamed the "test" file that was "active" to Personal Folders. Now I have only a single folder and single set of files.

The other articles are not quite correct for finding the necessary registry entry in Windows XP Home, and I never did find the correct entry to look for duplicates. However, the problem seems solved so I quite grubbing around in the registry before I screwed it up really well :>)

Thank you for your assistance and willingness to help.

Best Regards,