Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Using Outlook (rather than OE) on home XP Pro PC? (2002 SR1)

It seemed to me entirely obvious that when at work one used Outlook, and when at home one used Outlook Express - it's "the way things were".

But no more! Now that we have broadband at home and are running Windows XP Pro with Office XP Pro, I wonder whether it would be a Good Idea to start running Outlook instead of Outlook Express?

We are using XP's Fast User Switching for two userids, and have three Outlook Express Identities on one of these userids, and only one on the other -- and yes, we do need the three identities because switching from one to another is very much faster than switching from one userid to another, and probably requires less in the way of resources.

I'd be interested in comments from people who are using Outlook at home!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Using Outlook (rather than OE) on home XP Pro PC? (2002 SR1)

Been using Outlook since version 98, and have NOT been back to OE except for the newsreader.

As for separate accounts vs. Identities, I think you will find that by using different accounts under the XP OS, you will be better off. You did NOT state why the different Identities or how many different people are involved or how many different email address's. Each will will have a different influence on what is the best..

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, I thought I'd more or less given the picture!

Two userids:
    the straightforward one, with one identity and one email address
    the awkward one, with three identities, corresponding to three email addresses (personal plus two 'business' ones)

Having four userids would be a bit overkill, because the user with three identities has almost everything the same except for splitting email into three parts. Though I can't think of any way to achieve this in Outlook, which AFAICS needs a one-to-one mapping of userid and email address... I think this is what you are saying too!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have all of my email coming into one Outlook XP PST file. I can then select which email account I will be sending from when sending new and the replies should default to the address that the original was sent to.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I can't work out the implications of what you're saying in
    "I can then select which email account I will be sending from"

We also use a single PST file (each!) at work and each person has the one userid, so I haven't any parallel to what you're doing.

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am using Outlook XP under Windows XP. I have 5 email address's from 4 different providers, i.e., attbi.com, netzero. com and etc. Each time I check for mail, Outlook will check all address's.

When sending a NEW email, I can select from the "toolbar" (see attachment) which account I want the email to be sent from. Now, if I receive a email from my attbi account, a reply will show that it came from that address, or if I get one from the netzero address and reply to it, it will show that it was sent from that address.