Lounger
    Thanks

Automating the process of turning off services (WinXP Pro SP1)

When releasing an IIS update recently to my remote users (about 1100 of them) I found that there are two services in XP that are now set to automatic.
    1. Message Queuing - run by C:WINDOWSSystem32mqsvc.exe
    2. Message Queuing Triggers - run by C:WINDOWSSystem32mqtgsvc.exe

I want to write some code to set these two items back to disabled or manual. Does anyone know how I can determine the reg entries for these two services? I'm hoping I can have a particular value for each service to turn them off. Thank you in advance!

Thanks

Re: Automating the process of turning off services (WinXP Pro SP1)

Hi, Rascal ~

Are you unable to disable 'Message Queuing' & 'Message Queuing Triggers' from 'Services' in XP Pro?

<UL><LI>'Start' > 'Run...' > enter services.msc > 'OK'<LI>Scroll down and double-click 'Message Queuing'<LI>Click 'Stop' > Choose 'Disabled' in 'Startup type:'<LI>'Apply' > 'OK' > repeat for 'Message Queuing Triggers'[/list]

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I can disable these services now. I just want to automate this feature so it can be distributed to 1100 people.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If it's any good to you, there are utilities from the Resource Kits which would enable you to STOP a service (NETSVC.EXE) or STOP and DISABLE=set to manual (SC.EXE). These can run from an administrator's workstation, pointing to a remote machine. It would be fairly straightforward to script the running of one or other of these, using a flat file containing a list of all your machines.

But it looks as if you might want these options already configured in the machines you send out. If so, why not see what registry keys are changed by doing what you want to do manually, and seeing what happens by running SysInternals' RegMon utility, starting it before you make the changes? You'd still have to run a REGEDIT4 file to apply the changes to each machine in turn, so choose whichever you prefer (or none at all!).
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...