2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Bodgy Internect Connection

Hi folks,
    I'm having an intermittent problem with my dial-up connection. Dependant on network traffic, if I get to connect at 44kbps, no problems - no dropouts. However, if the lines are a bit busy at it connects at 40kbps or less, it ends up dropping out usually after about ten to fifteen minutes. At any speed there seems to be "pauses" in the in/out traffic which I guess maybe a regular dial up occurrence as it has happened with different ISP's, but at 44kbps it will pick up again, where if it's slower, it will eventually drop out. I know it's not the ISP - I have national dial in number, and even accessing the ISP from my in-laws home which is in the country and only gets about 24kbps, it never drops out. I haven't ticked the "only connect at..." speed box in the modem/internet properties. Would a driver update for the modem help (but why has it only just become an issue) or are there other setting within Win98SE I should be checking.
    Thanks folks

Willow

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Bodgy Internect Connection

Here is some interesting reading that might be of some help. Click Here

Banned Member
    Thanks

Try this Freeware Tweeker Cyber Tweek

Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand what you are saying correctly, I think that this is the normal way dialup connections work. You may connect at one speed, e.g., 44000bps and then the connection trains up or down depending on various factors. As far as "dropping out" is concerned, there is an extra setting you can add to the modem which may help in stopping this. Go to Control Panel -Modem-Properties-Connection-Advanced, and in the extra setting box type in S10=50. Let us know if this helps.
    Also, you might do this>Right click the IE Icon, click on Connections, Settings, Advanced, and make sure that Disconnect if idle for x minutes is not checked.

2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks for the tips folks! I will give them a go. I'm also testing some of my programs I use to block and monitor traffic to see if they are the culprit (although it would be hard because I always use them, but don't always get kicked). I will explore "cybergeek" (thanks Cowboy) for programs to stop pop ups, and monitor my internet speed and total traffic. Any suggestions for safe programs for this appreciated!

Willow

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cowboy:
    Have you used Cyber Tweak? I'm wondering if there's any difference between that & the patches that are found at http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_mode..._patches.shtml. Also, it seems that Cyber Tweak is now shareware.

Banned Member
    Thanks

No I use ActiveSpeed but it's not free. It is a very good program though. I noticed a big difference right off the bat. Most of those programs like Cyber Tweek all do the same thing. They just make some Tweeks that always seem to help. Probably the same thing as those patches do.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Cowboy. If I recall correctly, I need to bring my MTUs up, but forgot how to do it--something to do with TunnelMode & a few other tweaks. I need to review this stuff.

Cheers,

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yeah plus you can go in and set your Port settings higher. There are like 4 or 5 settings you can change I just don't remember how. I think you can do a Google Search for Internet Connection, Dialup Or DSL Tweeks and find what your looking for. It really does make a difference.