Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Calling routines in an Add-in

Hi,

Now that I've removed my normal.dot, I have some common routines in an add-in which I would like to be able to execute from any template.

I started by setting an explicit reference to the add-in from each template, but the reference appears to hard code a reference to the location of my version of the add-in. I would want it to be generic for a user.

Even though it's an add-in available in the startup folder, I can't seem to reference routines in the add-ins from code in the template. Add-in routines are, however, available from "macro on exit" from form fields.

Is it possible to use something like late binding to reference the routines? Or is there something else I am missing?

TIA
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Re: Calling routines in an Add-in

If I create this in a module in Document1, it works:

Sub test1()
    Call shrinkpic
    End Sub

ShrinkPic is a procedure in a global template. Is this what you are trying to do? (I wasn't able to use the dotted notation that appears in the Macros/Customize dialogs, although that would have been great to avoid potential ambiguity.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff,

That's what I want to do. But in my case, "shrinkpic" is not in normal.dot or any template which has an explicit reference set, but in a template in the Word start-up folder- and therefore, one which starts up when Word is started.

I can, as I've found out, use "Application.run macroname:=..." to run a macro, but I can't retrieve values from a function.

I did find a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/officedev/odeopg/deovrworddocumenttemplatesvswordaddinsglobaltempla tes.htm>Microsoft article</A>- the last paragraph of which tells me what I am dreading I think.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Geoff

If the file is always stored in the Start-Up Path for Word and you need an explicit path... couldn't you determine the startup path with a
    MsgBox Application.StartupPath

and add the filename after that.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

Having determined the path and filename, can I execute the macro in that template using the path? The syntax I've seen for the Application.Run is (quoting from MS help):
    <pre>Application.Run "Normal.Module1.MAIN"
    Application.Run "MyProject.MyModule.MyProcedure"
    Application.Run "'My Document.doc'!ThisModule.ThisProcedure"
    </pre>

Does that mean that for syntax #3, I can specify the full path (obviously as a variable name)?

Thanks

Thanks

In the page you referenced, the last cell says:

No reference is set to an add-in's VBA project when it is loaded. Therefore, although you can call procedures in the add-in project through toolbars, menu items, or macros, you cannot directly call a procedure in an add-in's project from code running in a document unless you explicitly set a reference to the add-in's project.

What is "code running in a document" and can it be replaced with template procedures/macros? Hmmm... Well, as far as I can tell, there is no problem with procedures, only functions, as you point out.

I put this in my global template:

Function MinutesTo(strTime As String) As Long
    Dim lngMinutes As Long
    lngMinutes = (Hour(strTime) * 60) + Minute(strTime)
    MinutesTo = DateDiff("n", Now(), DateAdd("n", lngMinutes, Date))
    End Function

Then I put this in a module in Document1:

Sub test2()
    Dim anAddIn As AddIn
    For Each anAddIn In AddIns
    If InStr(1, anAddIn.Name, "myGlobal", vbTextCompare) Then
    VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile anAddIn.Path & _
    Application.PathSeparator & anAddIn.Name
    Exit For
    End If
    Next
    MsgBox MinutesTo(#5:00:00 PM#) & " minutes to quittin' time"
    End Sub

But it will not compile, and therefore cannot run. Unless there is a way to make it run without compiling first... in fact, there is. Under Tools|Options...|General, if you uncheck Compile on demand, only the module in which code is being executed will be compiled. So you can put your function calls in a separate module from the "initialization" code, run the latter first to create the reference, and then proceed. At least in my little test.

So in Module1 -

Sub test3()
    Dim anAddIn As AddIn
    For Each anAddIn In AddIns
    If InStr(1, anAddIn.Name, "myGlobal", vbTextCompare) Then
    VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile anAddIn.Path & _
    Application.PathSeparator & anAddIn.Name
    Exit For
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

And in Module2 -

Sub test4()
    MsgBox MinutesTo(#5:00:00 PM#) & " minutes to quittin' time"
    End Sub

Does this help?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff,

It could well help. I will have to check it back at work tomorrow. It certainly looks as if it has promise.

It seems to me strange that one must have to go through hoops to what appears to be a simple objective- to avoid the use of ANY routine in normal.dot. It seemed logical to me that whatever was available to me in normal.dot should be available in the same way in an add-in. And I have proceeded along a path making that assumption.

Now I may be able to achieve that. But it's not a simple process. I was under an impression that many people had been able to do the same- hence all the posts, here and elsewhere, saying to "avoid putting anything in normal.dot at any expense". But that may well be too simplistic.

Has anybody else had problems trying to achieve the same?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not in Word, but I did have the same problem in Excel. I completed developing an application that had all the code in an addin. When I went to deploy the application I had all of the problems that have been descrbed here. I ended up ripping out the addin and using Application.Run and putting all of the code in a standard .XLS workbook file that the template loaded from a directory that the install routine pointed to from the registry.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>No reference is set to an add-in's VBA project when it is loaded. > unless you explicitly set a reference to the add-in's project.

I goota try THIS one.

Stand by. There may be a YeeeeeeeeHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! in a short while.

Good post!!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

No, using Application.Run you can't get a return value from a function. However, you can change the Function to a Sub, and pass it a variable ByRef and get a value back that way. Not as esthetically nice, but it does work.
    Legare Coleman

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Geoff

The following works for me in Word97
    <pre>Dim sPath As String, sCall As String
    sPath = Application.AddIns("AddIn.dot").Path & Application.PathSeparator & "AddIn.dot"
    sCall = sPath & "!ModuleName.MacroName"
    Application.Run sCall</pre>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

That works for me too, thank you very much for that.

I'm sorry I couldn't follow up on yesterday's post, I was almost out the door when I saw it, so didn't have a chance to investigate further then, just to fire off a quick reply. But that works well, and is much better than the way I was going to do it (which would have meant giving every one of 500+ templates a unique project name).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

Nice thinking! It works well.

Thanks for that

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Geoff

Doesn't it strike you that 500+ templates is a tad too many. Is there no way you can roll some together and use autotexts to provide different contents. Maintenance on that many templates is completely beyond anything I would contemplate.

By the way, I'm in Canberra next week for the AODC conference - are you attending?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

>Doesn't it strike you that 500+ templates is a tad too many.

It does have its advantages this way. It means that the menu for selecting a form comes straight off the directory. If a new form is added, it shows immediately in the window. It also means that users can develop their own forms which quite often require only a little brushing and a little automating.

Things like this don't come up very often, but when they do it IS a pain.

The organisation uses forms internally, for members of the general public, and for dealing with other agencies.

>the AODC conference

I didn't even know it was on!

*** Edited: following added ***
    I assume <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.conference.hyperwrite.com.au/frmain.htm>this</A> is the reference.

Now I now what it is- not quite my line. I'm a programmer working with VBA rather than a workhorse Word user. But get in contact anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast