New Lounger

Networked Templates (Word 97)

Hi all,

I have a small peer-to-peer network of 5 computers. All of them are use a directory networked on one of the machines to hold workgroup templates.

However, for some reason, I have one machine which refuses to use the workgroup directory. All machines are set up to access the directory via UNC, as drive mapping failed dismally when I first set the system up. Has anyone any ideas why this one machine refuses to play?

For the record, it accepts the network directory as the workgroup template location, and the templates appear as they should when you select "New" - however, if you close word to save the changes to and then reopen Word, it pops up with the friendly "workgroup location could not be opened" message <sigh>.

any help greatly appreciated.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Networked Templates (Word 97)

The Workgroup Templates Path is stored in the Registry, not in Look for this entry and see if it is there and correct. If not, maybe there is a problem with privileges? Or maybe a "Policy" is overriding it?

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordOpt ionsWorkgroup Dot Path

(More Info: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 181471 - WD97: How to Reset User Options and Registry Settings)