New Lounger
    Thanks

IntelliMouse Problem (Win XP Pro SP1)

Has anybody found a solution to the problem that the wheel button loses its setting when Win XP starts. I found a reference in MS KB Article 314352, but this suggests downloading the latest version of IntelliPoint which is exactly what I am running.

When checked in Mouse Properties the settings have not changed, but if another option is selected then the original option applied the mouse reverts to the correct setting. However on re-boot it forgets its setting again. The KB article says this only happens with IntelliPoint 4.0, my version is 4.1, and when fast user switching is enabled, which it isn't on my machine.

I am running Win XP Pro SP1 (V 5.1.2600), IntelliPoint 4.1and IntelliMouse w / IntelliEye 1.0 via USB (due to faulty USB->PS-2 adapter)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IntelliMouse Problem (Win XP Pro SP1)

Julian, try disabling Fast Initialization as shown in the attached screen shot. My preferred method of getting to this dialog is to:
    1. <LI>Click Start<LI>Click Run<LI>enter devmgmt.msc<LI>Click on the plus sign to expand the entry for Mice and other pointing devices
    From there, you can navigate to the correct tab and clear the checkbox. No guarantees, of course, but it may help. For more information on what fast initiallization does, right click on the check box and select the What's this? context option.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IntelliMouse Problem (Win XP Pro SP1)

Tried disabling the Fast Intialisation, still worked in that session failed to remember wheel button setting on reboot.

Having done a web search, there does seem to be a problem with IntelliPoint 4.1 and WinXP Pro. My IntelliMouse w/IntelliEye 1.0 is now discontinued and USB to PS-2 adaptors do not seem to be available, so I bought a new Logitech optical mouse and having loaded Mouseware 9.7 have not had the loss of wheel button setting problem since.

Am now using the IntelliMouse on my laptop (Win 98SE) and have no problems at all, so why is there a problem with WinXP?