Lounger
    Thanks

Password Protecting Excel (2000 SP3)

With the new privacy rules in effect in the medical world, I need to be able to password protect certain files. Is there a way to password protect Excel 2000 files? I want Excel to ask for a password before the file is opened on the screen. I can not password protect my whole computer - to easy to just hit "escape" to get around it.

Thanks

Re: Password Protecting Excel (2000 SP3)

Under File-SaveAs
    Click on options.
    You can add a Password to OPEN to file
    You can add a DIFFERENT password to MODIFY the file

You can use both or just one.

You can also PROTECT the workbook and individual worksheets (Tools- protection) to prevent users from modifying items.

ONE NOTE OF CAUTION. None of these are real secure. There are many ways around them for a reasonably knowledgeable person.

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a note that you may be able to require sign-in at start-up, and temporarily "lock" the computer from prying eyes using Alt-Ctrl-Delete and selectting Lock, in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, depending on how the machine is set up, that cannot be bypassed with "esc". At my company this is a requirement for all clinicians, stemming from HIPAA.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

When you do a FileSaveAs, if you click on Tools in the menu bar, then click on Options you will get a dialog box where you can assign passwords.

However, Excel's password protection is pretty much a joke. If someone wants to get into the file, the password should only slow them down for a few minutes. There are Excel password crackers all over the net, and most of them can crack the password in few minutes. If someone might take you to court, don't count on having used an Excel password for your defense.
    Legare Coleman