New Lounger
    Thanks

Normalized subform? (Access2000,sp3)

Hi,

I'll try to explain this as simple as I can.

I have a main form with a subform with a 1 to many relationship. In the sub form I've got 3 fields, fieldA, B , C and D.
    Field A and C are date/time data types. To keep a form normalized I know I 'thou shalt not store any data that can be calculated' or something like that..

I'm calculating the time elapsed between field C in record 1and field A in record 2. Time elapsed is stored in field D of record 1, since there can be 1 to many records in the sub form for each record in the main form, I can say in general: 'time elapsed between field C in record (n) and field A in record (n+1) is stored in field D of record (n)', n beeing the current record number.

Is there any way of normalizing this in a continous form view, meaning replacing the bound control of field D to an unbound control?

For the observant reader who asks: "What about the last record n in the sub form? Then there are no record (n+1) to get the time from?. This time value is retrieved by VBA from another table. I don't think this has to much relevance in what I'm trying to do, but just that it's mentioned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
    Gerhard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normalized subform? (Access2000,sp3)

In <!mskb=210504>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 210504<!/mskb>, Microsoft describes several methods to retrieve a value from the previous or next record in a query. The article also contains a link to download the Query Samples database, which contains examples of these methods.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normalized subform? (Access2000,sp3)

Thanks Hans

I'll check it out.

Regards
    Gerhard