New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlo0k Mystery? (Outlook 2002/XP)

Outlook 2002/Office XP stores email addresses. When you type the first three letters, a list will pop up with all the email addresses beginning with those letters. This is the AutoComplete function.

Today an address popped up "Chenhiua1" at a .com address in China. However, that address is not to be found in any of my Folders. Nothing is listed as Sent, nor in the Inbox.

I suspect this may be part of some malware infecting my box, despite Norton's best efforts.

Where are these addresses stored? I'd like to take a look at the list without having to type in every possible three-letter combination.

Thanks

Re: Outlo0k Mystery? (Outlook 2002/XP)

Hi,
    I think they're stored in the Outlook.NK2 file in Cocuments and Settings%username%application datamicrosoftoutlook but I wouldn't recommend editing that unless you are absolutely sure of what you're doing. You could just delete it and allow Outlook to build up a new one if you really want to clear those entries.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlo0k Mystery? (Outlook 2002/XP)

Thanks.

Yes, I found an article that the addresses are stored in the cache file Outlook.NK2

I could open it in Notepad, and other apps, and was surprised at the names in there. Rather than edit, it was suggested that you change the extension to .bak -- and the system will create another file and start over again. I did and it did.