3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple windows cause crash

I often use the Open in New Window feature, particularly when exploring search results or link pages. I not infrequently have crashes once a certain (not consistent) number of windows have been opened in this way, although often any other windows I have open are not affected. I presume this is because they are in a different process?

Win98SE, IE5.01SP1, PII450, 192MB.
    Similar thing seems to be happening with win2k as well.

Is there any way (eg forcing new processes eg by taking root page and creating New Window and opening some pages from there) I can get around this, or is my experience unique?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple windows cause crash

Hi Mark:

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you. But you're not unique. I usually end my internet sessions with either a complete freeze (rare), a long hesitation on all windows, or 8-10 windows all having moving bars at the bottom while they try to reach websites (& I have DSL).

I have a similar configuration except I have a 600MH Pentium III & 128MB of RAM.

It one of the reasons that I usually use Netscape, Version 4.75, although after many windows are open, it usually crashes eventually.

I keep my resource monitor on & it's usually in the yellow or red when this happens. Despite the hype on stability of Win98SE, I still find that it has resource leaks.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple windows cause crash

Could I suggest you make your links live?
    Cheers!