2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted A2K mde file (A2K SP3)

Recently my encripted A2K database mde file got corrupted and I received the "Unrecognized database format" error message. I tried to use A2K Tools>Database utilities> Compact and Repair Database without success. When A2K tried to open the corrupted the database for repair, the same error message occurred.

I tried to use Microsoft's JetComp.exe but was unsuccessful. When I searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base, I discovered all the remedies "apply only to Microsoft database (.mdb)". Does it mean that I can't repair a corrupted mde file?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupted A2K mde file (A2K SP3)

Perhaps, you can still get the data from the mde file. Create a blank new database and try to import the tables from the mde file.

If this fails, your mde file is toast. I hope that you have a fairly recent backup from before the corruption. You might also try a commercial data retrieval service (it won't be cheap, probably).

If you succeed in getting all or most of the data out of the corrupt mde, you should be able to reconstruct it. If you have followed Microsoft's advice, you have kept a copy of the mdb file originally used to create the mde. Make a fresh copy, put in the retrieved data and create a new mde file from it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, I do have the mdb version of the mde file, and it is the front-end with mostly codes. No important data is lost. I just wonder if all the solutions provided at the Microsoft web site and other sites to prevent occurrence of "Unrecognized database format" error applicalbe to a mde file, as the information I got invariably mentioned only mdb files.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Some of the causes of database corruption also apply to .mde files. Forms are much less likely to become corrupted in a .mde because they can't be saved, but tables are just as vulnerable as in a .mdb.