New Lounger
    Thanks

Word XP Forms (Word XP)

This should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I need to make a form in Word XP that will display a straight line that can be written to above the line, without affecting the line itself. Example: NAME:___________________. The closest I have come is to create a text box, but that always leaves a box, not a line. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word XP Forms (Word XP)

Try creating a table, with a bottom border on the cell where they can type the name.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create a line using the drawing toolbar. By default, the line will be anchored to the paragraph and will move with it.

I have attached a document demonstrating this, and also Stuart's suggestion.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans. You've demonstrated exactly what I want, but evidently my version of Word acts differently than yours. Clicking on the "Line" tool from the drawing toolbar doesn't work. All the lines are grayed out, and unavailable. I can use the slanted line (next to the Autoshapes menu) on the drawing toolbar, but when I do that I get a large rectangle that is inserted into the document. I can create images inside the rectangle, including straight lines, but must remove the rectangle before I can return to the document with anything like what I need. However, since your last post, I have learned that I can copy the line from your attachment, and also any I create in the large rectangle, and paste it into the document. This almost works. Unfortunately, the line does not always align with the text. Do you know what I'm doing wrong here?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The "Large rectangle" is the drawing canvas. To prevent it from appearing go to Tools > Options > General and clear the check box next to "Automatically create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes"

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Stuart. That indeed clears the rectangle. The horizontal alignment problem still exists. Any suggestions for that?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you select the line, you can move it in small increments by holding down the Ctrl key & using the arrow keys.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

VOILA!!! We have liftoff!! Thank you Phil! OOOOOPS! Everything works except that I can not maintain the space for the line where I have text preceeding and following it. I need something that looks like this: "Reply no later than____________ in order to be considered." I cannot place a line there and leave it blank awaiting text. I have tried all the layout options for Format Autoshape, but none seem to work. "In line with text" seems to be the logical choice, but when I use that option, I can't even enter data over the line--at least not in the document.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I still think that the easiest way to do this is with a table, as in this example.

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: doc x.doc (23.5 KB, 3 views)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Steve:
    I agree with Stuart. For an article on the different ways to draw a line, see <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm">I'm designing a form that needs to have

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For future reference, and completeness...

The drawing canvas is useful if you want to construct a drawing from a number of separate shapes. If you leave the drawing canvas enabled you can move shapes off it when you want to by dragging them to somewhere else on the page.

StuartR