Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Publisher document to PDF? (2002)

Hi John,

I've succesfully used the 5D PDF Creator, which is now marketted as the Jaws PDF Creator - see http://www.jawspdf.com/
    The version I've got doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Adobe product (the latest version may do more than mine), but it's much faster at creating PDFs and doesn't choke on fonts that sometimes cause problems with the Adobe product (eg Arial).

It's available in a demo version from their website or as a downloadable purchase (GBP 50.00).

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you want a truly free PDF creator try GhostScript 8 with FreeDist (which works more nicely than MULP21PDF - and has a better interface). You can use any colour PS driver to get the images to come out properly, and for best results ensure you select always your outlines for fonts

I used to use Zip Guy's FreePDF but it didn't seem to work properly with Windows XP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked at 5D PDF Creator some time back, for changing Word documents to PDFs, and found it worked fairly well, but it didn't occur to me that it would work with Publisher. I'll try Melissa's suggestions too!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Publisher document to PDF? (2002)

I'd like to turn a Publisher 2002 document into a PDF. Presumably at great expense this could be done by Adobe Acrobat...

Is anyone aware of a cheap/free product that would do this for not-particularly-complex short Publisher documents which include colour and a few GIFs, and which works reliably?

(I know Melissa Okely asked a very similar question about 18 months ago, but 18 months is a long time in computing ...)

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe at Adobe's website they will allow you to create up to 5 PDFs for free. I would be wary of any GIF images in the file however, as I know they can cause problems using Acrobat. It's better to use the TIF format for images.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've also been pursuing this in the Software Finds and Wants thread, and got a whole stack of suggestions, from which I tried (and liked) PDF995, which is a simple one-step print-to-PostScript-printer mechanism, and either free with adverts, or $9.99 without.

Adobe has just brought out Acrobat v6 which includes an extremely-cut-down program called Elements for

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

Also be sure to check out the following link:

http://www.mvps.org/publisher/sharing.html

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've been using RoboPDF 3.1 (www.ehelp.com) for a couple of months. It does a much better job with my Publisher documents than Adobe Acrobat ever did. It was about $50 and worth every penny. All problems I had with Acrobat abated immediately after installation of RoboPDF. Excellent product, easy to use.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've been using FreePDF since May on WinXP and it has worked great. Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/thompso_m1/index.html .

Lounger
    Thanks

If you're in to ditching Publisher, Serif PagePlus 8PDF is a great publisher and as it's now no longer than newest version could be very cheap.
    Small file sizes, too. Good users' forum.
    I swear by it...