2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Registry (XP and Win 2K)

Would someone please give me some guidance on where I can learn about the windows registry without having to buy an expensive book. The local library doesn't have any books on Windows registry. I would like to learn enough to get me to the intermediate level. Also, is it true, that you can look in the registry and see what internet sites have been visited even though the history, etc has been erased in internet exployer when you go into the internet options button from the tool drop down selection. If so, where would I look in the registry to find the site information. Thank you in advance for anyone who can provide assistance....JohnL

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Registry (XP and Win 2K)

Axcel216 has an extensive Windows Registry Guide, lots of info. There's also lots of links to lots more information, a good place to start.

have fun,
    kip

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Start here for instance: How the Registry Works

If you do a Google for "Windows Registry Explained" or "Windows Registry Made Easy" or something like that, you'll find lots of sites that explain the registry; many provide links to sites going into more detail.

Even if you clear your Temporary Internet Files and surfing History, information of the sites you visited is kept in Index.dat files (not in the registry). You can't delete these files from Windows Explorer because they are constantly in use and locked. There are programs that will clear these files for you on startup, such as Window Washer from Webroot Software.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First thank you to both of the replys. Hans, is there a way to locate the dat files you mention and review them? I have people at work who are using their computers for questionable sites and I need to discuss it with them. No one is going to lose their job. Just need to let them know that I know that they are using up the companies resources in an improper manner. thanks, Johnl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Index.dat files will be in your profile. I'm sure other Loungers can explain better than I can which ones to look for; you may also take a look at the thread starting at <post#=218872>post 218872</post#> - it starts with a cookie problem but develops into a lengthy discussion of the caches.

Somewhere in that thread, there is a mention of a free program called Spider that you can use to view Index.dat. See Spider.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thank you, I'll followup on your suggestion...thanks again, John