Star Lounger
    Thanks

Style listings (XP)

On my installation the "Show" option for lists of Styles in the TaskPane has become useless. Whatever selection I choose, whether it is "Available Styles", "Styles in Use", "All Styles" or "Custom..." what is shown in the list is what has been chosen in "Custom...".

Is this a known problem with a known solution?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Style listings (XP)

From the Styles and Formatting Pane, when you choose Custom from the Show drop down list, have you verified that for the Styles in Use and All Styles categories that you have checked all the other Formatting Options (except Save Settings in Template) and that for Styles Visible, you clicked Show All?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for these suggestions. Unfortunately they haven't helped.

It may be something I'm doing. If I start with a blank Normal.dot and play around with "Custom" style display for a while I can get into the same mess. I've been unable to find any documentation as to how Microsoft intended this feature to be used, even in the Help file.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the following:

Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    Activate the Immediate window (Ctrl+G)
    Type Dialogs(wdDialogFormatStyle).Show followed by Enter.

What happens if you select the various options from the Category dropdowm list?

If this works for you , you can create a macro in Normal.dot or another global template that executes this instruction, and assign it to a custom toolbar button or keyboard shortcut.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this suggestion, Hans,

This doesn't work either on a document which has gone wrong. For example "Styles In Use" which should display only 2 or 3 styles will display dozens which aren't in use. Likewise "Styles available".

I've tracked the problem down to selecting "Show All" or "Hide All" in "Styles to be Visible". That seems to make some irreversible change to the integrity of the style lists and prevent the distinction between "Styles In Use", "Available Styles" and "All Styles" from working properly.

So far I can't make the Custom area work like I think it should. I would be happy to be able to go back to square one and not use the "Show All" or "Hide All" again.

Regards,

Jim.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In Tools/Options..., Edit tab, is Keep Track of Formatting checked or cleared? What happens if you toggle this setting?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good suggestion. It was cleared. When I check it the "Formatting in Use" list now correctly shows the styles at present in use in the document (!).

However when I uncheck the option the previous (mis)behaviour returns.

(At this point I don't understand why "Custom" disappears when Formatting in Use is checked and why "Style in Use" is replaced by "Formatting In Use". As I understand "Keep Track of Formatting" is a Microsoft "hand-holder" I'd prefer to work with just actual styles if I could.)

Thanks though, I'm beginning to get some understanding of what might be going on.

Regards,

Jim.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't had any experience with Word 2002. However, problems with dialog boxes goes back to at least Word 2000. Since you've apparently replaced your normal.dot, you might try the last method in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> about replacing your DATA key. Just a guess.
    Good luck.