5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Spontaneously Reboots

On my machine I can get a spontaneous reboot 3 or 4 times a day not related to any program i am in. Does a memory dump blue message and then a reboot on Windows 2000. I have checked file structure, virus scan, and all hardware checks out okay.
    I have incidentally seen this on another machine at a hospital but no connection with.
    IBM says reinstall windows 2000 clean, dell told the person on the other machine to do the same thing and no help.
    Is something going around that is not being detected virus wise or all these security patches from windows causing a problem??? Do we have a computer SARS???
    Jerome

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Spontaneously Reboots

Jerome, first you need to find out what's causing the blue screen. Windows 2000 by default will reboot on a blue screen, and you should modify this behaviour so that you can see the crash screen and determine the cause. I don't agree with a slash and burn approach (clean reinstall) unless it's a last resort....that's a cheap way out for tech support.

To modify the reboot behavior, open the System applet in the Control Panel (Start - Settings - Control Panel - System). Once that's open, click on the Advanced tab, and then click on Settings under [n]Startup and Recovery[/b]. Clear the tic in the checkbox next to label Automatically restart. The next dump that occurs will halt the system. Make a note of the error message, and the first hexadecimal address. You should be able to look up the code on the Knowledge Base - and of course, feel free to post here with questions and we'll all pitch in. I'd bet that it can be resolved without resorting to a complete reinstallation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark:
    I followed your excellent instructions.
    Hopefully it wont do this today and give me a day that the machine works, but if it is anything like yesterday, I will be back to you soon
    Thanks
    Jerome

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay Here is the error screen a photo of it.
    If I keep my battery out and the machine running cool. Seems to crash much less. All the ram and hard drive and cpu check out. But I am beginning to think it is a hardware failure.. I can't attach the file print screen. Can I send it to you directly.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 18-Apr-03 17:15. to reduce attached graphic size)</P>Copy of print screen. I think it is a hardware problem though everything checks out.
    If i keep the battery out and the machine cool much less crashes
    Jerome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (12.3 KB, 1 views)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Jerome - take a look at this: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...md_stp_ccgm.asp

Although that's written with XP in mind, it applies to 2000 as well (since that's really what XP is with some additions). The error you're getting is a memory error - specifically, the data the system is looking for at the memory location referenced isn't there. Typically this is a problem with device drivers, so hunt down and update every driver on your system. It is possible that it's faulty RAM, but it's interesting that heat plays a role in your system's failures - you should also check to make sure that all the fans are running, and look at ways to ventilate it better. My ThinkPad has pop-out feet to prop it up when in use so that air can pass along the bottom of the case. I'm going to ASSuME that this is a laptop with your reference to the battery.

Hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction - let us know what's happening as you progress.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark:
    Thanks for the quick reply I took out the ram and blew on it, why I don't know, and reseated it, seems to be better so far, but I have the battery out.
    I am sending the machne back to IBM, all the drivers are new with new bios. And ordered a new Thinkpad t40e state of the art. I really use the machine so i probably has 3 lifetimes on a 2 year old machin already. This is really a strip and burn including the hardware!!!
    I will let you know what IBM says in a week
    Jerome

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark:
    In follow up it was the system board / mother board on the thinkpad. I sent it back to IBM and they said it checked out fine. I said i did not think so and asked for a supervisor, I re explained and he agreed sounded like the system board with memory connections failing and the video card is on the sytem board which may be affecting it. They changed it out. and so far all is well with the world. He had a similar problem on another older thinkpad and the system board swap out cured it.
    One friend at the hospital had the exact same problem on a Dell, and they have been removing part after part and the problem is persisiting.
    I think that as the units get older this is going to become more of a problem

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark:
    One other question Is there a windows office program, that can read a cad blueprint file???
    Jerome

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Jerome - excellent! Glad your persistence paid off. Ultimately, the customer is always right - even if you get a recalcitrant person to start off with. In regards to the CAD files, I'm not sure - Visio might, but you'd be better off posting that question in General Office Solutions...the gurus there could give you a better answer.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"that can read a cad blueprint file" that depends on WHAT CAD program type of file you want to read.

What CAD program is it you want to read?

I have used about 20 different programs. Some that are free and some that cost up to $10,000 US per machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry my ignorance
    I will find out what cad program and file type they are using for the blueprint

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Please post your CAD issues at you thread at <!post=What CAD Program, 246629>What CAD Program<!/post>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just as a reference, for anyone in the future following this thread. Not really aimed at "jrklein".

My Toshie 6100 did something very similar and that turned out to be the "cooling system" which I assume is more than just a fan.

I have also had a desktop do the same and all the diags were ok. I did once get a message on reboot that Windows was checking the disk for errors. The manufacturer replaced the hard drive, to keep me quiet, and the problem has not occured since.
    Granville