New Lounger
    Thanks

no CD key needed?

I could be wrong, but I don't think I need a CD key to install Off2K SR1. The shrinkwrap around my CDs label the CDs as "keyless," whatever that means, and I notice that when I install either one (Pro or Std) leaving the CD key field blank allows me to proceed. Typing in an invalid CD key halts me, but typing in a valid key (from another CD) also works.

Is this really how it works?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: no CD key needed?

where did you get your cd's from? is it the patch or the full version of office? are you prompted for a key when you first start one of the office programs and are you presented with the 50 use then must regsiter or die screen?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have never heard of a "keyless" Office CD! Does the CD have the Microsoft hologram on it?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You may have an educational version of the software. I don't think it needs serial numbers when installing.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, educational *does* need a cd key. I have it (for college) and it looks just like the full (non educational) except for the fact that the Jewel case, inserts, and cd say for educational use only (or some such thing). If you are a student you can get it @ about $100 off the retail...I may be in school for a long time

Cowboy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Except once you have the edu version, you can upgrade for about the same price.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If these CD's are JUST the SR files, NO a key code is NOT required, but, you will be required in insert your MS Office CD to confirm that you have a valid copy of that product.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The educational version you buy from a shop may well have. I have seen a version sold to NSW Dept of Education staff which is a bit of a bargain and doesn't require a CD key. That version is ~AU$80 and includes several operating systems, Office (Premium), Publisher, Training etc. That price converts to about $45 US.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have three jewel cases, one for Premium, one for Standard SR1 and one for Pro SR1. These are all real CDs--not just the SR1 files, and they're not edu versions. The SR1 CDs have the holograms and everything. The Premium CD is more run-of-the-mill, but we got it like three days after O2K was released.

I still haven't tested the install without typing in the key. At the time I was under the gun and didn't want to make my life harder. I'll try to install to one of my testbeds today without a key just to see if it works.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, but it violates the EULA to use the Academic Edition for commercial purposes. So sooner or later you have to graduate to full price![img]/w3timages/icons/spook.gif[/img]
    Charlotte