New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't reinstall Win ME...'cuz of Norton??

I was installing a new progam (paperport) from a CD and got some error at the very end that crashed the computer. Tried repeatedly to reboot, kept freezing or just never finishing or getting me to the desktop.

About a week ago I tried to install Nero (from a CD) and it also froze the computer with some error msg. Yet a few days ago I installed Spybot (downloaded file rather than CD) and it installed just fine.

Finally changed setup to boot from A rescue drive and this worked. After that, it booted up normally from the C drive. Scan-disk was run a few times. But...it still wasn't running 100% right, some weirdness with the CD drives, thinking the last CD was in it even when something new was in the drive, etc. And still couldn't install a pgm.

Tried to reinstall my full version of Win ME, figuring something got corrupted. Got stopped with this msg: "Error SU0325" When Windows Me Setup Is 10 Percent Complete." Went to Windows and read about the error. Learned it could be 1) a virus 2) bad CD 3) corrupted .cab file. I had Norton system and virus running 24/7, so no virus that I knew of. I cleaned and washed the CD. Tried to reinstall a few more times, kept stopping at same place. Figured maybe it was the Norton in the startup jinxing it. Ran "msconfig" and took everything out except load and run. however, Norton Internet Security still boots anyway. Disabled it. Tried to install Win ME again. No go. Tried to uninstall Norton, both with their own uninstall and via control panel. Somehow even Norton itself can't uninstall itself. Here the error msg now: c:windowssystemsmiexec.exe, device attached to the sytem is not functioning. Then, next screen is: The MSIexec.exe file is linked to missing export MS DLL-222. (This is Greek to me!) I did separately uninstall Norton Antivirus 2001 (which uninstalled just fine), but I still can't uninstall the Norton Internet Security and it's still running when I boot up even though I keep checking msconfig and there's nothing checked off except load and run... Do I need to try a different Windows install CD? Is Norton the reason it can't install and if so, how do I get rid of it altogether. Grrr....I've been working on this since about 4 am and I don't have any chocolate here to help ease the pain, which makes it all the more irritating!!!

Thank you. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Can't reinstall Win ME...'cuz of Norton??

Read This Concerning { The MSIexec.exe file is linked to missing export MS DLL-222 } I think it may take care of your problem. It has to do with Windows Installer Problem which I think is linked to your over all problem trying to Install WinMe and any other program for that matter.
    Make sure you look at both articles on that site. There are two fixes, the 1st one is the easiest. That should fix your problem. If it doesn't try the second one which is a bit longer. Both are pretty much the same fix.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, cowboy! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for bailing me out. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I tried the first one already. Got a new error message: windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2. Win could not upgreade one or more systems files before starting. Win may not start or run properly....

Win did then start up but I guess I need to do the second one. I'll try to take it step by step.

That error msg is the one I originally saw a coupla weeks ago when I tried to install Nero. The one about the %1 and %2.

Jeez, in all the years I've used Norton I never had such a problem....

Banned Member
    Thanks

Here is the Windows Fix for windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 also make sure you read at the bottom of that page about Norton. This will fix your problem I bet Ya.