New Lounger
    Thanks

Add Multiple Forms Data to a single Access record

I have set up multiple forms that direct all data to a single database. There is a primary form set up that will create a new record. I then have additional forms for which I would like the entered data to be directed to the record setup in the primary form. In the additional forms, I have set up a search field for a specific record based upon the primary key field. This works fine. What I can't figure out is how to add the data from these forms into the "found" record. Can anyone help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add Multiple Forms Data to a single Access record

I assume that by "single database", you meant to say "single table". Why do you want multiple forms to enter data in the same record? It only makes things more difficult. If the primary form would become too cluttered, consider using a tab control. This allows you to organize related fields into tab pages, while still keeping everything in one form.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Data is collected by different people (from different departments) into the primary Table. My supervisor wants separate forms for each department and if I had only one form for all it would be too cumbersome and hard to navigate. Would you suggest I use separate tables for each different form?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Whether you use one table or separate tables should be determined by the structure of the data, not by the number of users.

Are the multiple forms bound to the single table? If so, adding or modifying data in one of these forms will update the single table. Forms will refresh themselves from time to time; if you want to force a form to display recent changes by other users, call the Refresh method of the form. You can also force the main form to read all data anew when one of the satellite forms is closed, by calling the Requery method of the form.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your help! I'm sure you can tell I'm a newbie to this application! Back to my original question - do you have any info on how I can force the multiple forms to direct their data to a specific record (in the main table) that is identified through the use of a search field within the form?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should bind all the forms to the main table, that is, set the Record Source property of the forms to the name of the main table. You wrote that you already have a search field to locate a record. Is that a working search field? If so, can you tell how you set it up?