Star Lounger
    Thanks

event viewer (xphome)

I was snooping around in my event viewer and came across 2 types of warnings and 1 of errors that occur on a regular basis.
    the first one was in "system" and the source is "DHCP" ?? this shows up daily (and only once) anyone know what it is?? have searched, and find nada.
    the other warning is in "application" and the source is "eventsystem" it too seems to occur daily.
    the last one is in "system" and the source is "w32time" this one is an "error", not a warning and this occurs infrequently.(couple times in the past couple months). Anyone have any insight as to what they are and if I should be concerned?
    One final question - the logged items in the above, system, security and application are up there #'s wise, couple thousand each in security and system and 700 or so in application. Do these purge themselves after a time, or should I be deleting these logs?
    Hope I have made this all clear so someone can understand..Thanks everyone for the help.
    Victoria

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: event viewer (xphome)

Victoria,

I believe you can safely ignore both of these errors. Windows XP has several system services that run by default and these two are among them. They occur when you experience a loss of Internet connectivity - the DHCP error occurs when the system tries to obtain an IP address on a network (dial-up or otherwise) and the w32time error is because XP is trying to synchronize your system's clock with a time server on the Internet that it simply can't reach.

If you're not experiencing adverse performance or other ill effects, you can ignore them. If you feel like tweaking the services in Windows XP to eliminate errors in the log or simply to trim up the system's resources (not a bad idea), there is a good guide at http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: event viewer (xphome)

Mark
    Thank you for the reply. Sigh of relief <grin>....
    Victoria